1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual 26" from Asda, component into VGA

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DaveP, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I wasting my time? I bought a suitable cable to connect my panny DVD player, which has component out, to the VGA socket on the TV.

I get a nice sharp picture alright but there are problems. The colour is all wrong. The basics seem to be there. If I remove and replace the colours in turn I can see each colour contributes to the overall colour. It's just all wrong with basically a green tint to it.

I can provide a picture if you think it may help. Hopefully you will just saymit will never work or it needs so and so to work!

What's your thoughts?

Dave

2. sephy1024

sephy1024

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just changed my old vga box to a VD-Z3 and after some fiddling get a perfect picture. Im using progressive scan on a PAL dvd of Enterprise as i type this and it looks fantastic.

I think there may be some issues with using a cable for this instead as you can't adjust the settings. Where as vga boxes have a bank of dip switches to adjust the settings to be suitable. As you have a green tint it could be caused by using a straight cable rather then electronics. Considering the difference I have found between using "generic" component-->>vga box and a "branded" one, I'm not sure a cable alone is suitable enough for this screen.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

I dismissed it in the past because I thought it was a games adapter :confused:

I've now done a search and I see it's much more than that!

Where's the cheapest place to get one?

(sorry if you've already told me in a previous thread!)

Thanks

Dave

4. bignige

bignige

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The only place to buy them new is www.vdigi.com
    Mine took 6 days from ordering to arrival.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate :smashin:

Dave

6. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    @DaveP, the reason for the green tint is that YUV component to VGA cables connect the signal as follows: Y->G, Pb->B, Pr->R (based on the Toshiba xxWL56 manual). The Y signal is the luminance (or brightness, without any colour information), which is being (mis)interpreted by the TV as green instead. It seems the TV can do sync-on-green on the VGA input, not all VGA monitors can do that, so you get a picture but the colours are wrong.

The separate box converts the YUV colour space into RGB. A TV that can really do component over VGA will perform the same function internally (the Toshiba has a separate YUV mode when cycling through the inputs).

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the explanation. I understand it a bit more now :smashin:

Dave