Dual 12" push pull sub (M&K clone)

Ive done a little playing today, and things are ok but not perfect. The low volume window rattle I heard yesterday wasnt, it was the internal wiring of the forward driver rattling on the bottom driver, so I've fixed that :suicide: :D. Next issue is it really needs a bit of running in yet so I know there is better to come. Third issue is the sealed cabinet isnt sealed as tight as it should be. This is partly down to the fact I havent yet stuck the gasket in place, or got any kind of finish on the MDF. Last issue is I dont have my Audyssey mic to properly eq this sub, and its running the eq setting from my own sub. When I turned Audyssey of the sub sounded a little weak, but with it on its not quite right either to my ears.

It does sound well, and both music and films are pretty decent, but I'm finding it hard not to compare it to my sub :devil:. Next job tomorrow is to find a few spare minutes to run REW and see what the response is like and see what is really happening.

I'm reasonably happy with how it sounds at the minute, and its certainly better than any of the sealed subs Ive heard for under 1k. It does sound very similar to the MK's its copying which is a cracking result, but Ive convinced myself there is more to be had yet.

I'll post back tomorrow on how I get on :thumbsup:

Oh.....bugger! :(

Lol, dont get me wrong Nick, its sounding very good, I just think there is a bit more to come. When I pushed it today with Audyssey on, It was working hard on -10 and I think my Audyssey settings are applying to much low end boost to your sub.

Its impossible to know really till I get REW on it tomorrow, but from experience, I think the eq is out slightly, and once I get that thought in my head I have to test test test till I know for sure.

In answer to your text message (my phone is on incoming only now), I think the Star Trek scene is scene 11, its about 1:45 in, and it starts with spock in a small ship blasting the orbital drill to bits. Give them a listen as those LFE moments are very deep, quick and clean. As this sub is now, it is better than the SB12 by a good margin, but I'm pretty certain there is more to come from getting the EQ all sorted out.

BTW, I moved its position today, and boy thing is heavy as a mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully it is just a case of EQ mate. In my eyes, the drivers are very good, the cabinet is at its optimum size for performance and they're getting 1000w thrown at them. Realistically where can it go wrong?!

Nothing is going wrong matey, at this point Ive done a quick assembly to do some preliminary testing, that all.

Yeah good point mate. It'll be interesting to see what the graphs tell us. Although i don't doubt for one minute that it'll be anything less than superb when finished.

Excellent work Dan, I'm sure once you had an opportunity to run REW and do some proper EQ'ing, Nick will be very pleased with his 'heavy mother'! :D

I think a natural oak veneered finish would look the business...too many black boxes all over the place!! I know it won't match your set up Nick, but mine on the other hand........;)

How are you going to pick it up Nick? You hiring a artic lorry to transport that?

Ha ha, light oak?!! Thought you were happy with your Mono Mike? Nah, satin black mate all being well. I think a forklift/crane arrangement ought to about do it!! ha ha. I'll be like a kid in a sweet shop the day i get it!

Christmas is obviously falling in May/June!!

The monolith is plenty enough for my needs and my pocket at the moment, although I'm sure that your praise for your new sub will get me itching!

Yes, light oak and those silver drivers would compliment my set up don't you think? :smashin:

As would an antimode mine!! (wink wink nudge nudge)!!

Ha ha, the bad boy is alive. The smiles are happening Nick, and let me just make one thing very clear to anyone reading this, if your making a sealed sub, it is incredibly important its sealed properly. I got the sub out this morning to check the air leak issue, and brain farting idiot man here had nipped all the screws up, but not tightened them up, so the lower driver was leaking like the Titanic. Now its fixed, and the lost output I had before is blindingly obvious.

So Nick, my impressions. This sub is shockingly good, and Ive not heard a sealed 12" design sound so deep and powerful, suffice to say the little SB12, while it represents good VFM, just doesnt hold a candle to what I am hearing now. Its even on a par with the 2K plus M&K's I loved so much. I am actually quite taken back with how well it compares to my sub, which is 4 times the size of this (in volume). I can actually feel what is outputting, and when I turned on my bass shaker, its hard to not to be tricked into thinking its deeper still. I'm hugely impressed :clap: :arty:

If your dissapointed with this Nick, stuff it, I'll keep it.

Ha ha, the bad boy is alive. The smiles are happening Nick, and let me just make one thing very clear to anyone reading this, if your making a sealed sub, it is incredibly important its sealed properly. I got the sub out this morning to check the air leak issue, and brain farting idiot man here had nipped all the screws up, but not tightened them up, so the lower driver was leaking like the Titanic. Now its fixed, and the lost output I had before is blindingly obvious.

So Nick, my impressions. This sub is shockingly good, and Ive not heard a sealed 12" design sound so deep and powerful, suffice to say the little SB12, while it represents good VFM, just doesnt hold a candle to what I am hearing now. Its even on a par with the 2K plus M&K's I loved so much. I am actually quite taken back with how well it compares to my sub, which is 4 times the size of this (in volume). I can actually feel what is outputting, and when I turned on my bass shaker, its hard to not to be tricked into thinking its deeper still. I'm hugely impressed :clap: :arty:

If your dissapointed with this Nick, stuff it, I'll keep it.

Sounds like excellent news. I've got a ported sub which hasnt been sealed properly (I've got to change one of the panels and theres a couple of open screw holes) although it'd be less pronounced do you think that sealing it would produce better bass?

Sounds like excellent news. I've got a ported sub which hasnt been sealed properly (I've got to change one of the panels and theres a couple of open screw holes) although it'd be less pronounced do you think that sealing it would produce better bass?

The open hole will contribute to lost output, but a couple small holes in a ported sub is a fair bit different to a sealed design with a large leaking driver hole. It will be marginal if even measurable, so I wouldnt worry too much, but I would ensure they are plugged when you finish the sub.

The problem I had was a leaky driver, and its a far cry from a couple tiny holes.

The open hole will contribute to lost output, but a couple small holes in a ported sub is a fair bit different to a sealed design with a large leaking driver hole. It will be marginal if even measurable, so I wouldnt worry too much, but I would ensure they are plugged when you finish the sub.

The problem I had was a leaky driver, and its a far cry from a couple tiny holes.

Fair play, The sub is also only screwed together with a minimal amount and not glued yet so hopefully it'll tighten it up a bit with that as well

Cheers for the input.

Music to my ears Dan.....it sounds good then mate?!!!

Funnily enough, my room gives a massive spike around the 30Hz area. We could be laughing mate!!

I tell you what would be interesting Dan, would be if you were able to map your sub's response graph on the same one as mine.....food for thought perhaps??? Just curious, obviously!

Mine is uploaded on here in my thread. I didnt save yours so can't overlay them without setting up REW again.

Here you go, mine is the first one:

153692d1261431328-dual-15-push-pull-diy-build-post-audy-graph.jpg

179569d1274103495-dual-12-push-pull-sub-m-k-clone-nicks-sub.jpg

That's not a bad shout at all from the dual 12's eh?

Well dont forget this is only at 75db. I tested higher and pushed them to 95db ok, which is more than enough I reckon.

Yeah 95's plenty eh? Don't know what the limits of these drivers are?

120db plus at 80hz, but eq swallows a bit. Its enough anyway, and I cant be bothered getting the exact figures just now :D

Charming! lol. As you say Dan, plenty. So the sound's sorted, just the finish to go now???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom