1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTT - connecting it all up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Nello, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, never done this before so if I am going over old ground point me to some other threads.....

Have a VCR that isn't Nicam. If I connect a Freeview box to VCR and then VCR to TV (I assume I can then record from any channel I receive), will I only ever get mono reception for all channels? All connections are with Thor Scarts.

Is there some other way I can do it so that I can record on the VCR but also get Nicam Stereo DTT reception for the TV? I don't want to buy switches, etc.

Or do I just have to buy a new VCR :confused:

Cheers
    Neil

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure you will need a stereo vcr for this, as you don't want a switch box. A mono vcr only outputs a mono signal via scart or rf.

If I'm wrong then I'm sure someone will tell us.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It all depends on which box you have, if tou have a Pace box or one with just 1 scart socket probably, if you have one with scart ie EX ITV box or other then connect as follows,
    VCR to AV2(STB)>TV>AV1(RGB if you can)
    ALot depends on the spec of your VCR and STB as well as TV please let me know What connections the TV has, the VCR has and the Digi box.
    And i will be able to help further. Links to the model you own on the manufacturer site will help.

4. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies chaps.

Sounds like I may have some options open to me as I haven't bought an STB yet, so this may influence what I do.

VCR is an oldish Akai one, maybe 3 years old. Can post the model later once I'm back at home if you need it, but I know it has 2 scart connections, and no Nicam.

TV is Sony LS60, it has 3 scarts (2 RGB I think)

No Games Console to worry about, it's just the TV, VCR, STB and then a DVD once I buy it (Sony DVPNS405 probably).

So, by getting an STB with 2 scarts I could sort this out by the sounds of it? I will get a new VCR one day, but pennies won't allow me to buy TV, DVD, STB and VCR in one go, and reckon the STB and DVD will give me most viewing pleasure.

Cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Best bet is connect like this.
    TV(RGB1)>STB(RGB)>VCRscart
    TV(RGB2)>DVD
    note when connecting the RF leads go into the STB first then VCR the TV sounds odd but you dont wasnt to lose signal to the STB, and it will probably amplify its output anway for the vcr/tv