DTS X vs Dolby Atmos

ckoons1

Novice Member
Reaction score
DTS X vs Dolby Atmos ?

I am familiar with Dolby Atmos and love it.

Is DTS X comparable?

Does DTS X have overhead sound ?

Thank you

Last edited:
I have found that DTS X seems to emphasise overhead effects more than Atmos.

Both are comparable, however, when it comes to upmixing a normal track, Neural X does a better job IMO of making it sound like an Atmos or DTSX soundtrack.

so DTS X is as good as actual dolby atmos material or better.

that's great news

thinking of buying some 4k movies and some have DTS X and i wanted to make sure they are just as good as dolby atmos as now i am spoiled :)

thx guys

Last edited:
I guess it will be down to how good either mix is (Atmos or DTS X) some mixes are just better than others of either variety. There is also many more native Atmos discs than DTS X. I also agree with mb3195 that with non Atmos or DTS X discs, Neural X is the best upmixer :thumbsup:

I have had a couple of titles,with the new imax enhanced tracks,which use DTSx +imax enhanced mode,and boy are they loud,really had to turn the volume down by as much as -10db,to what i usually play at.
But also had one or two tracks with DTSx,that i have been disappointed with,but also had Atmos track as well that i have been disappointed with.

But i would say they are both capable of delivering the goods

:)

so DTS X is as good as actual dolby atmos material or better.

that's great news

thinking of buying some 4k movies and some have DTS X and i wanted to make sure they are just as good as dolby atmos as now i am spoiled :)

thx guys

I'm not sure that's what MB actually said and it's certainly not my experience. Neither compare to 'the real thing' IME.

I'm not sure that's what MB actually said and it's certainly not my experience. Neither compare to 'the real thing' IME.

dts x is the equivalent to atmos. Neural X is the Upmixer, which does an excellent job of pseudo Atmos/dtsx.

I’ve actually found some neural x tracks to be better than the real thing (interstellar is a good example), but this may be that my processor is just doing a brilliant job, not sure it will be the same for everyone.

in most cases the original Atmos/dtsx mix is more engaging though,

Speaking of Atmos mixes, I watched Life last night, sounded superb!!

I’ve actually found some neural x tracks to be better than the real thing (interstellar is a good example)

I agree, Interstellar does sound superb with Neural X, but you can hardly say it's better than the real thing as Interstellar hasn't ever been released with DTS:X to the best of my knowledge.

I agree, Interstellar does sound superb with Neural X, but you can hardly say it's better than the real thing as Interstellar hasn't ever been released with DTS:X to the best of my knowledge.

I agree. If you’ve got the same film, the Atmos/DTSX version will always sound better than the standard mix being upmixed.

I don’t think the OP was asking this question, but I suppose it could have been lost in translation.

Sorry, you're right, I'm getting my Neural X & DTS:Xs mixed up. :rotfl:

Nolan doesn't use any form of overhead audio in his films, just 5.1 DTS HD, which to me is a shame. Neural employed on Interstellar is very good indeed.

IMHO, it's not a case as to whether Dolby Atmos is better or worse than DTS-X - there are really good and very lacklustre tracks on various discs, it's all to do with the audio mixing and post-production. Most studios opt for Atmos for their tracks, others prefer DTS-X mix. It doesn't really matter, it's how they've done it and how it performs during play.

IMHO, it's not a case as to whether Dolby Atmos is better or worse than DTS-X - there are really good and very lacklustre tracks on various discs, it's all to do with the audio mixing and post-production. Most studios opt for Atmos for their tracks, others prefer DTS-X mix. It doesn't really matter, it's how they've done it and how it performs during play.

true, although until DTSX Pro is released we are limited to 11 channels, whereas atmos can use up to 32 depending on the mix.

But, I agree, I can't really tell the difference between a good Atmos and DTSX mix, likewise, when they are poor, they are poor.

To the original poster, my suggestion of reference immersive tracks are as follows:

Equalizer 2 (end scene is awesome) - Atmos
Terminator Dark Fate (great use throughout the film) - Atmos
Everest (when the storm hits its pure reference) - Atmos
Black Hawk Down (need I say more?) - Atmos
Saving Private Ryan (as above!) - Atmos
Fury (brilliant use of subs) - Atmos
10 Cloverfield Lane (surprisingly good) - Atmos
Blade Runner + BR 2049 (2049 is a v.loud mix!!) - Atmos
Bohemian Rhapsody (Live Aid set is probably my demo scene) - Atmos
Deepwater Horizon (be prepared to strap your subs to the floor!) - Atmos
Hans Zimmer Live in Prague (just awesome!) - Atmos
John Wick Trilogy (night club scene in 1 is a lot of peoples demo - real test how good your sub is) - Atmos
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (volcano scene is epic) - DTSX
Kong Skull Island (helicopters entering Skull Island!) - Atmos
Lone Survivor (whole film!) - DTSX
Mission Impossible 5 & 6 (5 is better) (underwater/motorbike scene in 5 is superb!) - Atmos
Overlord (intro scene is insane!) - Atmos
A Quiet Place (excellent indication of dynamic range - how good is your noise floor?) - Atmos
Star Trek (opening scene) - Atmos
Gravity (sense of openess, real test for integration between speakers) - Atmos
Life (as above but with a few more jumps!) - Atmos

Could name a few more, but these would ones I would use to show off my system.

My own, highly subjective, experience with DTS-X is that it appears more consistently good than Atmos. Anybody familiar with some of the "Atmouse" mixes on Marvel movies will know what I mean, some Atmos tracks just don't seem to have taken advantage of the medium, while every DTS-X track I've heard has been thrilling. Highlights for me would be The Incredible Hulk, and the Harry Potter UHD Boxset. Both carry DTS-X tracks and the sense of immersion and object placement rivals anything I've heard on an Atmos track.

My own, highly subjective, experience with DTS-X is that it appears more consistently good than Atmos. Anybody familiar with some of the "Atmouse" mixes on Marvel movies will know what I mean, some Atmos tracks just don't seem to have taken advantage of the medium, while every DTS-X track I've heard has been thrilling. Highlights for me would be The Incredible Hulk, and the Harry Potter UHD Boxset. Both carry DTS-X tracks and the sense of immersion and object placement rivals anything I've heard on an Atmos track.

The "Artmouse" is more in relation to Disney's mixing more so than Atmos is general.

With my amplifier i find all DTS X to sound so much better especially in the surrounds.

I have to agree some of the MCU mixes are thin for want of a better word. Thor Ragnarok is a case in point on the opening scene. The Led Zep track just doesn't punch where it should, like it's playing in another room. Also some of lightning strikes and hammer slams should be room shaking but somehow Mjölnir is more of a toffee hammer.

true, although until DTSX Pro is released we are limited to 11 channels, whereas atmos can use up to 32 depending on the mix.

But, I agree, I can't really tell the difference between a good Atmos and DTSX mix, likewise, when they are poor, they are poor.

To the original poster, my suggestion of reference immersive tracks are as follows:

Equalizer 2 (end scene is awesome) - Atmos
Terminator Dark Fate (great use throughout the film) - Atmos
Everest (when the storm hits its pure reference) - Atmos
Black Hawk Down (need I say more?) - Atmos
Saving Private Ryan (as above!) - Atmos
Fury (brilliant use of subs) - Atmos
10 Cloverfield Lane (surprisingly good) - Atmos
Blade Runner + BR 2049 (2049 is a v.loud mix!!) - Atmos
Bohemian Rhapsody (Live Aid set is probably my demo scene) - Atmos
Deepwater Horizon (be prepared to strap your subs to the floor!) - Atmos
Hans Zimmer Live in Prague (just awesome!) - Atmos
John Wick Trilogy (night club scene in 1 is a lot of peoples demo - real test how good your sub is) - Atmos
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (volcano scene is epic) - DTSX
Kong Skull Island (helicopters entering Skull Island!) - Atmos
Lone Survivor (whole film!) - DTSX
Mission Impossible 5 & 6 (5 is better) (underwater/motorbike scene in 5 is superb!) - Atmos
Overlord (intro scene is insane!) - Atmos
A Quiet Place (excellent indication of dynamic range - how good is your noise floor?) - Atmos
Star Trek (opening scene) - Atmos
Gravity (sense of openess, real test for integration between speakers) - Atmos
Life (as above but with a few more jumps!) - Atmos

Could name a few more, but these would ones I would use to show off my system.

You missed a terrible film with the best audio track out there - Godzilla: King of the Monsters

You missed a terrible film with the best audio track out there - Godzilla: King of the Monsters

on purpose! I didn’t want to feel guilty for getting anyone to sit through it!!

can add midway to the list of films, Atmos track is incredibly good!!

on purpose! I didn’t want to feel guilty for getting anyone to sit through it!!

can add midway to the list of films, Atmos track is incredibly good!!

I suffered it, so others must too...

DTS-X wins out for me as it makes more obvious use of the overhead effect, Neural is definitely the best up mixer too.

Its just a shame Atmos is more popular

DTS X vs Dolby Atmos ?

I am familiar with Dolby Atmos and love it.

Is DTS X comparable?

Does DTS X have overhead sound ?

Thank you
I think both are really good so it's important to get something that handles both as they are the two main used in 4k movies today. I think Atmos is a little better with the overhead sounds but they both seriously throw the sound around you and it goes with what's happening on the screen very well. Honestly they are both awesome and you want one of the two when buying a disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom