DTS: X is finally launched

And just tested it.

The upfiring speakers are playing, not very often though - I think the first time I heard them was when they where followed by the reavers for the 1st time, and like for 2 seconds.

Denon 2300 says DTS:X MA

Tested on the Xbox One S
Thanks mate. You wouldn't happen to have an exact time for that scene just so I can see if I can get anything out of mine? Guess I must just happen to have a couple of crappy DTS:X films in which to test height effects.

Based on this I am not very impressed with DTS:X. There are a silly amount of times where the overheads could be used on Fate of the Furious. Hoping for better performances on other movies.

Thanks mate. You wouldn't happen to have an exact time for that scene just so I can see if I can get anything out of mine? Guess I must just happen to have a couple of crappy DTS:X films in which to test height effects.

Based on this I am not very impressed with DTS:X. There are a silly amount of times where the overheads could be used on Fate of the Furious. Hoping for better performances on other movies.
No problem. I've noticed them (speakers) at minute 21:05
from one speaker to the other.. engine noise for like 2 seconds.

I'll recommend you to try Van Helsing, as it has DTS:X and its blowing my mind sound wise, and I only have some dodgy upfire Onkyo speakers.. I can only imagine with the proper ceiling speakers..

I have the XTZ S2 they where placed on top of a Monitor audio GX300 pair and Even though they looked out of place they where big enough to house the S2 pair.

I Just got new speakers which are much smaller so have put up some shelving about 10 cm higher than the front pair I will place the S2's on the shelf Right above the mains. My question is I have spread the mains further apart so are also further apart from my listening position and from my surrounds. Should I move the S2's in more so the sound bounces of the ceiling in the vicinity of my seating position ?

I just bought harry potter UHD.When I played the movie my yamaha 1060 decodes its as DTS:X but 5.1.0?..It should be 5.1.x(x=2 or 4)?.i have Oppo udp 203 connected to yamaha.Audio via HDMI and surrounds decoder is Neutral:x on yamaha..Can experts please clarify?

Attachments

• 312406DA-741A-4DE8-A2BB-737BE6EF50B7.jpeg
    312406DA-741A-4DE8-A2BB-737BE6EF50B7.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 233
I just bought harry potter UHD.When I played the movie my yamaha 1060 decodes its as DTS:X but 5.1.0?..It should be 5.1.x(x=2 or 4)?.i have Oppo udp 203 connected to yamaha.Audio via HDMI and surrounds decoder is Neutral:x on yamaha..Can experts please clarify?
Is the Oppo set to bit stream to let the Yamaha decode (assuming your Yamaha can decode DTS:X)

I'm assuming you've only a 5.1 speaker configuratio without the additional presence speakers? You'd see 7.1.4 in the input section if you'd a 5.1.2 speaker setup with the additional speakers and the output would indicate 5.1.2. What you are getting is normal behaviour for a setup without the additional speakers present.

I got it too and we can only get DTS to come up so far. I've looked through the settings and can't see any DTS MA or anything like it.
We are on my watching the Philosophers stone so far but I'm still not happy.
The picture is no better than the 1080p either, in fact I'm seeing more noise on the UHD version!
So far, for £80, I think that the 1080p boxset is better value.

I'm using a Denon AVR3300W receiver and an Xbox one X.

I'm using a Denon AVR3300W receiver and an Xbox one X.

Larry Hryb on Twitter

Also 'Sorcerers Stone'

The Hp UHD's are upscaled 2K masters which is what a lot of UHD discs are, however the pic quality airs on the side of slightly better among the nerds.

Anywho it might be your Xbox perhaps?

How do you all find the dsx upmix used on a Blu-ray with DTS MASTER HD soundtrack compared to a DTS:X soundtrack ?

How about dsx upmix compared to the original DTS hd ma soundtrack ?

Been underwhelmed with Dolby Atmos outside of their own demo clips. Saw Harry Potter in DTS:X and was blown away! Even my wife noticed!

Been underwhelmed with Dolby Atmos outside of their own demo clips. Saw Harry Potter in DTS:X and was blown away! Even my wife noticed!
Found much the same as well.
DTS:X seems to have more of a louder EQ set up with it compared with Atmos.
It really pays to listen to a local cinema set up or a local Hi Fi shop which is rigged up for a Atmos demo, they have the kit and the time to do it.
I sat in a local shop and he put on a Atmos film , i could not believe how rubbish my set up was compared to what they had.
I drove straight back to mine with the sound set up still in my ears , then reset mine straight away ,it is so much better since then.
I think i just relied upon Audyssey pre set up and thought well ,they know what they are doing so it has to be correct, i turned it off and used my ears , much better now.

What did you tweak Joner? The levels? I've heard that you should run the ceiling speakers slightly hotter than the test tones - I listened to Justice League at reference volume and didn't notice much going on up there and it's supposedly the Dynamic EQ that leads to wrong atmos settings at less than ref volume.

What did you also listen to at your Hifi shop?

I just find DTS:X just has a lot more going on in the ceiling. When a ton of action is on screen it's hard for your ears to notice the subtle effects. In the demo clips they've done a great job of engineering sounds you can really pay attention to. But in a real movie that just isn't the case.

What did you tweak Joner? The levels? I've heard that you should run the ceiling speakers slightly hotter than the test tones - I listened to Justice League at reference volume and didn't notice much going on up there and it's supposedly the Dynamic EQ that leads to wrong atmos settings at less than ref volume.

What did you also listen to at your Hifi shop?

I just find DTS:X just has a lot more going on in the ceiling. When a ton of action is on screen it's hard for your ears to notice the subtle effects. In the demo clips they've done a great job of engineering sounds you can really pay attention to. But in a real movie that just isn't the case.

I can`t remember what film clips he used.

I did notice in the cinema that the centre speech speaker was very loud ( maybe they have to cater for all types of listeners with all sorts of hearing issues)?

Yes ,the ceiling and the rear surrounds speakers were up a extra 2.5 db ,the centre up 1.5 .
The subs i dropped the crossover down to ,i can`t remember ! but it was to pick up just the lower register of the bass, a lot of bass response comes from my front L+R speakers anyway.

As you say, the demos seem to be pumped up to show off what can be done ,so what you need to do is over compensate what you think you need.

I sat in my number 1 seat and mainly used the Denon test tones for each individual speaker ,one by one .
Then when i could hear what I wanted to hear from each part of the room ,then that is right for my set up and the shape and set up of my room.
Every room is different , so make it work for you.

I have tried reverting back to Audyssey after my fiddling and it was just a bland , neutral , sound --- maybe what they intending , but not for me, so set it back to my set up.

I found waiting for a sound to come up on a certain speaker when listening to a film was too long winded , using the test tone was more constant.

Last edited:
Make sure you press the A. F. D button on the Sony strdn 1080 amp, that will then decode the dts x or dolby atmos soundtrack, cheak the sound levels, depending on how high you have your two ceiling speakers and adjust accordingly.

And set the height speakers to FH, not FD or TM with the STR-DN1080 (regardless of what they are) otherwise they will be silent with DTS:X content.

We attended the world launch of DTS:X Pro last week. Very cool.

Supports up to 30.2 discrete speakers with the ability to have multiple custom configurations. Multiple height layers etc. Neural X will also up mix to all 30.2 channels.

Just to mention I too was not happy with my pseudo atmos?DTSx on my Yamaha 3050 which had been using in Yapo set us as all advice seemed to say this was the best route.
Well got out the old sound meter and voila all the heights and rears were far too low.
So kicking myself for listening to the general opinion and now rewatching movies that I thought not up to expectations and much happier.
What to watch tonight hmmmm?

Just to mention I too was not happy with my pseudo atmos?DTSx on my Yamaha 3050 which had been using in Yapo set us as all advice seemed to say this was the best route.
Well got out the old sound meter and voila all the heights and rears were far too low.
So kicking myself for listening to the general opinion and now rewatching movies that I thought not up to expectations and much happier.
Lesson learnt, always check automated settings for accuracy...

Did you equal out all speaker outputs to the same? Base level and heights?

Did you equal out all speaker outputs to the same? Base level and heights?
Should be what suits you, I find lifting the Atmos speakers 2 to 3 dB helps a lot, but this is all about individual wants, needs and listening habits

I still have my Pioneer LX 303 calibration mic unopened in its plastic bag. My settings are 0.5 for front left and right, centre 3.0, 3.0 for Atmos fronts, 2.5 for Atmos rears, 1.5 for surrounds and 0.5 for Sub. It's probably completely lacking in subtlety, but it sounds great to me! :)

At the moment I have 4 speakers at the back, 1 in each corner and 2 in the middle at the back on the floor. Usual 2 fronts in each corner and centre at the front. Can this do DTS: X? I wont be putting speakers in the ceiling. I can put the middle rears on a high shelf where the projector is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom