DTS - various sub-formats

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Pecker, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    I understand that, if you have a BD player which doesn't decode DTS-MA, when you play a DTS-MA disc it can access the dts 'core'.

There is a third 'in between' version of DTS called DTS-HD High Resolution, which appears to be an sort of in between format, not unlike DD+ (which is in between DD & DD TrueHD).

If a player can decode DTS-HD High Resolution, but not DTS-MA, what happens when you play a DTS-MA disc?

Does it only access the vanilla dts core, or can it extract an in between DTS-HD High Resolution core?

Steve W

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Moved to General Home Cinema. :)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hi Steve, Ian S posted a most enlightening reply in another thread I cannot remember now, but here goes again. DTS differs from DD in that it has this 'core' which contains all that's needed for 5.1 surround, whatever version it is. Extensions are then added to this. HD, 7.1, MA etc.I think, as long as the extensions are applied in the right way, that the decoder should work it's way up the list to the best it can achieve. I'm sure that's what is intended, we might all curse DTS, but they ain't stupid. The question is, how well does it work in practice? I do not know the answer, Have not had enough experience listening to BD players, I don't sell half finished products. I liver in hope that they will offer me a finished one soon!

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    DTS system works quite well and as others have indicated is based on a core and extension principle. If a player does not have a certain DTS capability it will always resort back to the 'core' and not something like DTS Es matrix or DTS HD High resolution. So if you have say a player like the Panny 10, which can't decode MA but can decode HD High resolution, when given a HD High resolution sound track it will decode it in all it's glory (not many of these though). When given a DTS MA sound track it will go back to core and not HD High resolution.

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Cheers everyone.

Just been over to AVS and they're discussing Pan's Labyrinth (DTS-MA 7.1).

Apparently on everyone's non-DTS-MA player it ouputs core as 5.1.

Given that there are very few (none at all?) 7.1 soundtracks on LPCM or Dolby TrueHD, it appears the extra 2 analogue outs are all but worthless. :confused:

The BD10 is now a great price, but it looks like the new BD50 will do everything - 1080p/24fps, DTS-MA, profile 2.0, 7.1 analogue outs.

Hopefully this will be affordable by Christmas...haven't we just had Christmas?

If the format war situation continues as it looks it will, ending in a BD-only universe, this may well be my 'final, finished player'.

Steve W

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    we were all supposed to have 1.1 players back last June and we are still waiting for them, I suspect many of these 'new' profile players will take a while to come yet.