DTS troubleshooting, please help me

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Test005, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have some DTS problems with my home cinema.
    Some films just don't work with DTS. The sound from the speakers is sort of a chopped up "bo-bo-bo"relflecting any sound made in the movie.
    Totally impossible to hear anything else than this stuttered "bobobobo". I've tried to boot all equipment, re-insert movie, doublechecked all settings and connections.

Resident Evil & Black hawk down=Has this problem (works ok in DD)
    Gladiator & Blade2=Works good in DTS

I have a no good, no name DVD player (Scott) could this be the first component to troubleshoot/switch. (But DVD is not decoding, Amp decodes, right?)
    Amp is Maranz SR-4200.

Anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

-T5-

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    Hi

First thing to check would be the dvd player. Can you not borrow a mates to see if that works with your Marantz?

If it works ok then it´s your player that´s the problem. If his plays up as well then it´s the Marantz that has a fault.

Not being rude but I assume the dvd discs are legit?

3. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Legit? sure, 100% original, bought for big money in the local DVD shop.
    Could there be some probs with the discs aswell? I mean, is it common that people buy faulty discs or a certain series has a malfunctioning sound track?

Hmm, maybe it's time to throw out that old DVD player anyway. Bad picture with lots of bleeding thru when it's showing black/darkness.
    The Maranz is expensive like !"%¤ So I guess I go for a Sony, any recommendations?

-T5-

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    You can get faulty discs but I´d eliminate either the player or the amp first. Actually you could check the discs on someones dvd player first all just to make sure they´re ok.

Don´t know much about the Sony range to be honest but Marantz stuff is usually very good.

Hang on. I´ve just remembered something. The Marantz 4200 had problems with DTS tracks, sound popping etc. Have a look at this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47713&highlight=marantz+4200+problems

Sounds like you need to get it modified by Marantz.

5. Test005

Test005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback Jase. I checked the link you posted but I don't seem to have similar problems.
    They mention pause, play=crackle in one backspeaker and I've read about this phenomena before.
    Also I can't remedy the situation by switching source or mode and then back to DTS.

I can't reproduce that problem, because when I use the DTS track on one of my "problem discs" There is no way to get any acceptable sound from the speakers.
    I have pom-pom-pom from all 5, pausing/playing/changing chapter/ffwd/rwd...whatever, still the same.

I wish it would be consecuent with all my DTS movies, but it seem to be 50/50 chance.

Need to investigate and possibly return the unit if it's faulty....
    Feels bad because I have been lurking in this AV shop for a long time before I picked up the 4200 and now after just a few weeks I'll be back complaining. **** I don't like this! I'll be the poor salesmans worst nightmare!

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    Best to investigate, like you say, but if the amp is faulty then the dealer should replace it or get it sorted out. I´d try and get my hands on another dvd player first of all, as that will help you eliminate what the problem is.