1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS sound problems - AMP or Speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hades, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hi all,

Something just not right with my system and I can't put my finger on it for the life that is left in me. Any DVD that I watch in DTS sounds flat, there is just nowhere near as much life in them as there should be.

Watch a scene in DD and its booming with life and then watch the same scene again in DTS and its nowhere near as good (lacking that umph). My last set-up cost £500 for amp and speakers + sub and DTS rocked. This has cost me £1550 -sub and now I am not as happy as I first thought I was :(

AMP = Denon 3802
    DVD Player = Sony S7700
    Front speakers = KEF Q55.2
    Rear speakers = KEF Q15.2
    Centre = KEF Q9C
    Sub = Paradigm PDR10
    IXOS sub lead
    QED Qudos Bi-Wire Original
    QED scart from DVD player to TV
    Using optical cable

When I went to the shop to demo the amp and speakers (fronts and rears) and he played a DTS demo DVD, it sounded awesome.

I am not sure if the system has a fault somewhere with the speakers or the amp.... or it's all fine but just basically a rubbish system :( (hope not) I bought an SPL metre and set all the speakers up right and did the distance thing too.

If any one can help then it would be appreciated.... perhaps someone has the same/similar set-up....any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Gazza...

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds very much like your amp is at fault, if it was the speakers it would also be bad in DD, send it back to Denon.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unusual. Have you checked the menus on your DVD to see if there is anything there you can change? I may be a simple thing thats not set right.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

Before you give Denon any grief, reset the amp. Hold down the STEREO & DIRECT buttons on the amp whilst turning the power on. The display will flash a few times. Make sure you write down all your settings, speaker distances, channel levels etc etc before you do it.

If it still plays up, then give Denon a call.

Does it do this with ALL DTS soundtracks? Or just the one disc?

5. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hi....

When placing a DVD in I select the DTS track if one available, so there is no problems there. Also when selecting DTS it picks the signal up on the amp and shows DTS in the display.

As far as I can tell it does it with all my DTS tracks. I connected my Toshiba SD220E that I have in my bedroom up to it the other day. You can change sound formats at the touch of a button, so in certain scenes I watched in DD and then DTS....and it was so obvious that the DTS was far less responsive than the DD one.

It's a nice sunny day today and supposed to be the last one this week. So later on when I get back I shall do the reset thing and see where that takes me.

I have emailed the company where I bought the amp from and also Denon, as of yet I have received no reply from either.

Once I have done the reset I shall let you know either way if anything has changed.

Cheers,

Gazza...

6. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hi all,

Well I have just done the rest on the amp and it is still the same. The best DVD for me to use to test the difference in sound quality is the main bombing scene from Pearl Harbor. Play it in DD and it's booming like mad with volume at -25. Go into the options and change to DTS and play the same scene and it is noticeably flat. Change back to DD again and boom....we are alive and kicking again.

Either I have a faulty amp or there is some setting on the amp for DTS that I have not done. I have checked and better checked and I just can not see for the life in me what it may be.

As of yet neither the supplier or Denon have got back to me.

Does anyone here have a Denon 3802? Did you do anything different to the settings for DTS?

Any more help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gazza...

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont own either the dvd player or the amp you do but is it possible that a dynamic range compression setting is in place on either the dvd player or the amp that only effects DTS tracks?

Again not owning the 3802 but on the AX2 I have there is a seperate setting for the level of both DD & DTS.

8. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Well I can not seem to find anything that I should be changing for DTS. I have emailed both the company I bought it off and Denon and now await for them to reply.

Gazza...

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Resetting the amp will set the LFE level & Dynamic Range Compression back to their defaults. The LFE by default is 0 and DRC is set to OFF. Normally DRC cannot be selected for DTS discs (or very few of them).

It does sound like there is a fault, just out of interest have you got access to another dvd player?? try that to make sure its the amp and not the player.

10. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hi Jase,

Yes I have tried my other DVD player on it and it just sounds the same :(

Denon have got back to me and said this:

"We would suggest using a coax connection rather than the optical. This will give a more punchy, cinematic sound. The optical can sound a bit tame. Also it gives a faster bitrate to the processor than optical.

DTS normally sounds warmer and less bright than Dolby digital, maybe this is what you are experiencing.

We would recommend that you contact your dealer for the AVR-3802 to be inspected and tested"

I have contacted the dealer and they are short staffed at the moment and behind with just about everything and will get back to me as soon as they can.

Oh well I suppose I can try a coax cable then....more expense!

Gazza...

11. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you checked tha sound parameters,there both independant
    of each other,or at least they are on the 2802.Iv'e got mine set
    quite different mainly with the lfe channel.

12. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Dear all,

Well DTS seems very nice again. I got rid of my KEF 55.2's and bought some Q1's. Then I took the advice if Denon and got shut of the optical cable and went to coaxial instead. All I can say is that the difference is there and it is a vast imprevement on my ears :)

Thanks to all those that had posted....

Gazza...