DTS running at half bitrate still better sounding than Dolby ?

s8n

hi AV members , i have a question about audio on DVD's. Is DTS running at half bitrate still better sounding than Dolby ?

i'm on the fence on buying certain DVD's with DTS as it may not be worth it.

chat soon

hippo99

Distinguished Member
At that sort of price, wouldn’t you consider getting a cheap Blu-ray player?
Blu-rays can be bought for a similar price & you get a big improvement in both the audio and picture.

s8n

hi guys , @Hippo yes your right in both areas (video and audio) but most of the movies i watch (80's) haven't been transferred to Blu-ray which is disappointing. Btw i also have a OPPO UDP-203 , i don't want to have say 90% DVD's and then 10% Blu-ray. I don't want to get used to Blu-ray (video and audio) and then go back to DVD and be disappointed , so it's best for me to stick with DVD

thank you simon for the link , very interesting read in the Sound section.

Last edited:

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
hi guys , @Hippo yes your right in both areas (video and audio) but most of the movies i watch (80's) haven't been transferred to Blu-ray which is disappointing. Btw i also have a OPPO UDP-203 , i don't want to have say 90% DVD's and then 10% Blu-ray. I don't want to get used to Blu-ray (video and audio) and then go back to DVD and be disappointed , so it's best for me to stick with DVD

thank you simon for the link , very interesting read in the Sound section.
Which films?

s8n

Stakeout 1987
Some Kind Of Wonderful 1987
Drugstore Cowboy 1989
Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead 1991
The Boys Next Door 1985
Another 48Hrs 1990

are some of the titles , others have been transferred which is great but i don't have much hope for the above.

Last edited:

Vila

They might not be on Blu Ray but you'll probably find them all in HD on digital formats from iTunes/amazon/googleplay which will be a lot better looking than an NTSC DVD

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom