DTS probs thru 6-channel outs

K

kunnagh

Hello DVD brainboxes of the world

This is my first post, 'cos I'm stuck! :confused:

Setup is: Lecson DVD-900 with 6-channel outs going into appropriate inputs on a Yamaha DSP-E492 (which is set to 6 channel mode for DVD)

Tried two disks with DTS soundtracks (Gladiator and Mummy Returns). Sound comes out fine when playing in Dolby Dig mode, but on selecting the DTS language option I get a big blast of complete silence.

According to the manual, the DVD-900 has an on-board DTS decoder, so shouldn't it output the six channels through the six outputs??

And if not, why the :mad: not?

Thanks in anticipation for your insight!

Kunnagh

Hi Bob

That's what I did - it's the change from DD to DTS that makes it go quiet. Plenty of noise when DD selected, no noise when DTS selected.

I love your icon thing, btw

Kunnagh

Now I'm a bit confused - wasn't I replying to a post from Bob007?

What happened to that post? Am I hallucinating replies? :eek:

Must cut down on coffee intake....

Sorry mate ...........i miss read your post so it would have been of no help to you as you already stated that you had selected the soundtrack on the disc.

Don't know the 492........ does it have D/D DTS and auto select feature on it..........

Hi Bob

Phew, you had me going for a minute there....

The '492' has, as I understand it, only Pro-Logic processing on board. So, giving it a stereo input from, say, a VCR, results in Pro-Logic surround.

But.... it has discrete inputs for external decoders, for each of two fronts, two rears, centre and sub. So, with a player like the DVD-900, which has (or claims to have) DD and DTS decoding on board, AND six-channel outs, it should be just a matter of plugging the one into the other (or rather, the six into the other six).

Except that it works with DD and not with DTS (selected on disc). And my head was starting to bruise with all the scratching and banging against the wall!

Thanks for the reassureance of my sanity, anyway :(

Regards

Kunnagh

Specs say it has D/D decoder but only DTS compatable, no decoder......sorry to say you will only get D/D out of the player.

KEY FEATURES: Dolby Digital decoder; DTS compatibility; CD/VCD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 playback; multi-angle; bookmarking; zoom; resume

Hi again

Thanks for the reply - what is confusing me is this phrase in the manual:

DTS digital out : on board DTS decoder provides 6 channels and high quality audio for disc encoded with DTS sound track

Is it the digital bit that I'm getting wrong here? If my AV amp had a digital audio input (note that big if :( ) then would DTS be available?

Ho hum. Still, went and watched that nice Mr Crowe roman' all over Europe while I waited for replies, and I can deal with DD for now!

Kunnagh

I used to use my dsp-e492 until upgrading, with a pioneer dv626 which has dd and dts decoders on board........maybe if you sold the player you have now, you could get a pioneer or a sony with both decoders built in, or a millenium dts decoder secondhand at £250..(£850new).......even mint examples of the above can be found secondhand at about £150 to £200......multiregion-able .

Originally posted by kunnagh
Ho hum. Still, went and watched that nice Mr Crowe roman' all over Europe while I waited for replies, and I can deal with DD for now!

Kunnagh

I have to say the battle scene at the beging will astound you when you get DTS sorted out, the difference is unbelievable.

Good luck and I hope it's not to painful on the wallet to sort it out.

Hi ya,

You would be better off swaping your E-492 for the newer and now discounted E-800. This helps in several ways, firstly it has DD and DTS decoders (the DD will almost certainly be better than the onboard..) also you will only need the one digital cable instead of the 130 cables (well alright 6.....) that you need at the moment.

Hope this helps

M.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom