DTS problems on Fortissimo II

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tryingtimes, Dec 10, 2001.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi all
    It's all coming together now :) except....

DTS sondtracks are coming through with a second of sound then a second of silence /sound/silence/etc.

DD is flawless (downconverted pro logic is appalling :().

Any ideas?
    Alex

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you're probably not going to like what I'm going to reply.

I have worked for the last two months trying to get the Fortissmo 2 working properly with DTS in any Operating System and Player.

With no success. I find that if you play a disc and get the problem you're getting I can get proper DTS by pressing Pause then Play, repeat until it works.

I also found that the Card actually causes stutter in Video playback under certain circumstances particularly on R1 Columbia Titles with the new logo (Superbit, Final Fantasy etc).

I replaced the card with a cheap and cheerful Soundblaster 4.1 Digital with SPDIF and everything worked first time everytime and judder disappeared. This is a coax only card. In my Development Machines I also have the Audigy Card and have had the M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 with its optical out (though its alot more in terms of price).

This problem occurred across ME, W2K and XP with PowerDVD 3, PowerDVD XP, WinDVD 3.1, WinDVD 2.64 and TheaterTek.

My Fortissmo 2 is now in the Kids Games machine :( I tried to get support from Hercules but that was an absolute Joke.

Not much help I know but my two pennies worth.

Jenz.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    8ugger :mad:
    I thought I'd chosen this card because it was meant to be the best budget card (and obviously went out and bought an expensive optical cable) Grrrr.
    When you say stuttering do you mean the kind of stuttering that you get on slow pans when doing 3:2 pulldown?
    I'm suffering from these even though I've got the magic refresh rates :eek:

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I mean stuttering so bad the image jumps across the screen, almost like a processor conflict.

Well it's a misnomer that typing in the specific number 71.928 gets stutter free pans. The Pans also depend on so many other things. For example have you disabled in Hardware and Bios all the components you dont need. Have you removed all the O/S functionality that you dont need etc etc. This things even if they take a fraction of CPU can affect the pans.

Regards Neil.

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've done as much of what you've said as I feel comfortable.

As I've done a fair bit of messing around while setting everything up (experimenting with different dvd players, refresh rates video drivers, etc).
    When I'm happy that I've got all the functionality working I might just do a full reinstall (after a backup).

I'm not there yet and I may wait until TT Player turns up but this soundcard thing certainly throws a spanner in the works :(

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid that your problem will be twenty times worse on TT.

Could you take it back and get it exchanged for a SB 4.1 Digital (it has a clean SPDIF that works well).

Have you ensured that all automated activities are shut down? Things to look at include Scheduler, Find Fast, Virus Tools, Desktop Addins.

Disable all Hardware at the OS and Bios Levels like Printer Ports, USB Ports, etc etc.

Also which CPU, Memory and OS are you using? You're also using the Fortissmo 1.02 Drivers yes?

I was lucky to entertain Gordon Fraser last night at my home where he saw my new HTPC so he may comment on his thoughts on my "Panning" :)

Regards Jenz.

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531

Oh dear :(

I bought it from dabs - I'll have a look at their returns policy.

I think so - I noticed that there were a few more things in task manager running than there once were!

Done from the first build

PIII, 512 Mb Crucial RAM, 98SE, I'll check the driver version tonight. I'm just running what came on the cd!

Sounds fun - I'll look forward to his comments :)

Cheers
    Alex

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK the Fortissmo CD Drivers are 1.0 and are not good. Get 1.02 from www.hercules.com and see if these help.

Things running in the background is a good point. You should have just Powerstrip, Systray, Explorer and the Fortissmo one (though I disabled that). See what else is there that you can knock out.

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Cheers Jenz
    I'll try all this tonight and get back to you in the morning.

Thanks
    Alex

10. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Sorry to butt into your thread guys, but I would just like to ask Jenz what his initial thoughts are concerning the Soundblaster Audigy card?

Cheers

Dave

11. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audigy Card, yes very nice overall. Was easy to install and use and get setup.

If your after a good allround card then its a good choice, driver support and tech support is good (unlike Hercules).

If you want a card for DD/DTS passthru via SPDIF then there are much cheaper alternatives such as the 4.1 Digital SB.

12. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I got diveted by friends coming round last night - will try it tonight!
    Sorry
    Alex

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Right, driver 1.02 is in place and no improvement in dts :(
    I have disabled everything that you say.

Pausing and unpausing the player does work eventually although the sounds that come out of the speakers threaten to destroy them!

It's been too long for Dabs to take the card back :(
    I have only got a couple of DTS discs as my old player wasn't capable so it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that I'm now worried that it's causing the studdering.

I'll have a few more checks later on (Wife wants to watch Holby City then I want to watch Louis meets....)(we have no TV now!)

Thanks for your help Jenz
    At least I cann be 95% certain that £35 will sort it for good!
    If only all problems were so easily sorted!

Cheers
    Alex

14. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Right, I returned from my Annual Cristmas Snowboarding trip to find TheaterTek on my doormat.

Jenz - it is exactly as you fortold - studdering is worse, player locks up all the time, dts is as PowerDVD - it looks as you described like a hardware conflict.

PowerDVD is exactly as it was - pretty good but without the smoothest of pans. (and still no dts)

It looks like I will try another soundcard (from somewhere like Maplins with a no quibble refund policy!)

Which is the most reliable budget card?

I'm going to do a PQ test tonight to see if TT is worth pursuing!
    If not I might try and get a refund (before the 7 day trial is up)

Regards
    Alex

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Alex,

Dabs do the SB 4.1 for £23 +VAT, I haven't tried one myself but it should be OK. As for the DVD player, for me the best player for good but hassle free playback has got to be PowerDVD XP, it really is great to use. PQ and SQ are also very good as are pans but it isn't quite the best. Currently if you want the best PQ you need to run something the uses the new Ravisent Cineplayer 4 video filters such as the new 5.0 ATI player. I'm using the filter with Zoom player and PQ is quite outstanding. As usual trying to get the sound to work as intended is problematic at best but building your own DVD graph is quite fun. I haven't seen TT but I have used the video filter which is (I'm lead to believe) the same one that comes with the 4.1 ATI player which is good but not as good as Cineplayer 4. There are plenty of posts on AVS if you want to find out any more.

Jeff

16. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  17. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz

I also have noticed this stutter. Would removing the soundcard Device Manager and playing a DVD be a way to test if it is the sound card causing the stutter

Thanks

Conor

18. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Thanks Jeff
    The current TT filter is meant to be ONLY available from TT (whether this means it's better is a different matter). The immersive guys have mentioned that they are going to move to the new ravisent filters very shortly.

I'm also pretty happy with PowerDVD XP - it seems to work with 100% reliability for me (assuming the pans are down to the sound card).

BTW jeff - how did you solve the black shodow details after The Event? - was it just a gamma issue?

19. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Yes it was gamma, I found the key in the registry that controls the overlay settings. Its much easier now because they give you access to the overlay controls in the display advanced settings. I find that a gamma value of 6 works well (4,5 and 6 are the same), some people go as high as 7 but find that it effects saturation to much. I still use Unbreakable chapter 22 to check gamma and contrast levels, its also very good for testing rainbows. :)

Jeff

20. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm not sure I fully understand what a gamma slider does to the colour curves. I think I'll have a play tonight (before Frasier :))

I thought I was getting more black detail out of the image but then on the film I watched last night the colours were looking awful (like before the projector was calibrated). Lets hope that it was only the gamma that's caused this! - I haven't touched the projector.

I've splurged and bought an Audiophile 24/96 today from my local music shop. I hope this finally solves the stuttering. I'll get chance to put this in tomorrow.
    Wish me luck!

Alex

21. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,903
    Hi Alex,

I've just managed to get DTS from Zoomplayer!

All I did was replace the WinDVD 2.64 audio filter with the 2.8 version. Now DTS pass through works.

It's very strange, because WinDVD on its own passes DD and DTs no problem, but with Zoom only DD was available.

Someone pointed me to a 2.8 upgrade, but apparently the 2.8 video filter is inferior to the 2.3/2.6 filter. So I just upgraded the audio filter.

I now have Zoom with ATI video, and WinDVD 2.8 audio, and full DD/DTS.

HTH

Gary

PS. I'll bug that on the disk too ok? :)