DTS-Play query

jarweb

Standard Member
Hi

I've been thinking about getting an Arcam rPlay from a certain auction site to try out.

I know these use the DTS Play-Fi app. I've read an article about flaws in the app but it's from a few years ago and wondering if these are still valid.

Particularly that you must keep the app open on the mobile device as it's streaming via the device and not directly from the source. Is this still the case ?

Are there any other issues with the app anyone thinks are drawbacks ?

Thanks

Cebolla

I've been thinking about getting an Arcam rPlay from a certain auction site to try out.

I know these use the DTS Play-Fi app. I've read an article about flaws in the app but it's from a few years ago and wondering if these are still valid.

Particularly that you must keep the app open on the mobile device as it's streaming via the device and not directly from the source. Is this still the case ?
Yes, the only solution provided thus far by DTS is a UPnP/DLNA media renderer (aka DMR) for the latest devices. It's a workaround, as it cannot be controlled by the DTS Play-Fi app itself, only UPnP/DLNA controller apps.

I'd avoid as it's not worth risking if the rather old 2017 Arcam rPlay can even be installed with the firmware update containing the UPnP renderer 'Bonus feature' required for those older (pre version 5.2, released in early 2020) DTS Play-Fi supporting devices:
New Features & Quality of Life Improvements for DTS Play-Fi - Play-Fi

BTW, here's a newer (6 month old) article mentioning the same flaws:

Upvote 0

jarweb

Standard Member
Yes, the only solution provided thus far by DTS is a UPnP/DLNA media renderer (aka DMR) for the latest devices. It's a workaround, as it cannot be controlled by the DTS Play-Fi app itself, only UPnP/DLNA controller apps.

I'd avoid as it's not worth risking if the rather old 2017 Arcam rPlay can even be installed with the firmware update containing the UPnP renderer 'Bonus feature' required for those older (pre version 5.2, released in early 2020) DTS Play-Fi supporting devices:
New Features & Quality of Life Improvements for DTS Play-Fi - Play-Fi

BTW, here's a newer (6 month old) article mentioning the same flaws:

Hi. Thanks for that. Think that saves me having another impulse buy :)

Upvote 0

DIBSTER

I bought a Quad Artera Solus Play a short while ago and as wonderful as it sounded ( believe me it was wonderful, my CDs never sounded so good) the whole streaming aspect with DTS Play-Fi was to me unusable. I grew so frustrated with it that I sent it back. Maybe someone more tech savvy than myself might have got it to work better but it was not for me.

Upvote 0

Cebolla

I bought a Quad Artera Solus Play a short while ago and as wonderful as it sounded ( believe me it was wonderful, my CDs never sounded so good) the whole streaming aspect with DTS Play-Fi was to me unusable. I grew so frustrated with it that I sent it back.
One possible solution, given your recent posts in the Synology and LMS thread, could have been the very same Logitech Media Server you mentioned being very familiar with.

The UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin allows any UPnP renderer on the same network to be used as if it were a Squeezebox player - so it very likely would have worked with the Quad's special UPnP renderer provided by its DTS Play-Fi firmware. The UPnP/DLNA Bridge's Flow option setting may even have sorted out the Quad's lack of gapless playback support inherited from DTS Play-Fi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom