DTS -> PCM on LG C1

tigertanaka

Novice Member
I'd expect anyone spending the amount of money on such a TV to actually read the spec.

If they didn't then they are fools

i have read dozens of reviews and not one of them has mentioned this. i have read the specs on the product page if I remember correctly but it did not set off any alarm bells. I have never had to use arc or earc with my other tv's. I have / had tv's from Panasonic, Philips and Sony and not one of them had such horrible lip sync issues as the LG. I dislike earc / arc for several reasons (less hdmi sources, the master (tv) - slave (reciever) thing etc. I never ever took into account that i would not have another option than to use earc (and that no dts passthrough would be an issue)

by the way: even the seller where i got my Marantz told me, do not use arc or earc, it's garbage...

little did I know that the garbage was in fact the Bx that i bought.

Last edited:

chenks

not sure what you mean in either direction? you can't or shouldn't enable earc if you connect your sources to your reciever and not directly to your tv?

No idea where your confusion is, but really don't have the energy to waste time on lengthy discussions that aren't going to make any difference to you

chenks

i have read dozens of reviews and not one of them has mentioned this

Every proper review I've seen for a 2020 LG model has mentioned the lack of DTS support.

if you don't feel like helping no need to rub it in or make it sound like i am stupid
Sadly, if you want to watch media files that were originally encoded with dts audio using the TV's video player, you're going to have to re-encode the dts audio stream to an audio format that the TV understands. Such as: LC-AAC, HE-AAC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital), E-AC-3 (aka: Dolby Digital Plus) or even Flac ;)

Doctor Hades

in reality you only DTS audio from a DVD or bluray.
no streaming services use it.

Games consoles use it.

I had a PS4 Pro connected to my 5.1 surround sound amp via an optical out cable but Sony removed that with the PS5. Thankfully, my LG B9 TV has optical out so I have been able to passthrough DTS/DD 5.1 audio from my Xbox One X and PS5 via the TV then connected the TV to the amp. It works okay for the most but there are occasional audio dropouts, where the sound seems to "hitch"/"stutter" or go quiet for a split second which doesn't happen with direct connections.

I assume that LG have dropped support for it on newer TVs perhaps because they need to pay a licence fee to use it? Otherwise I cannot think why they would drop support for it if there wasn't some kind of cost with using it.

chenks

Games consoles use it.

when playing DVD/bluray though?
in which case it's included in what i said.

i don't think any games use DTS?
I assume that LG have dropped support for it on newer TVs perhaps because they need to pay a licence fee to use it? Otherwise I cannot think why they would drop support for it if there wasn't some kind of cost with using it.

almost certainly, and with no streaming service using DTS they probably decided it wasn't worth the cost.

King Clash

Novice Member
I hate my BX because of this. Regret buying it.

earc= no lip sync issues, no dts
no earc = heavy lip sync issues, dts
Exactly my thoughts.... The picture is great overall, but the lack of dts support and no google assistant in Belgium is ridiculous...

pgharavi

Standard Member
when playing DVD/bluray though?
in which case it's included in what i said.

i don't think any games use DTS?

almost certainly, and with no streaming service using DTS they probably decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Oddly enough, some PS2 games supported DTS!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom