DTS -> PCM on LG C1

pm1990

Hello,

I am thinking to upgrade from my 2017 LG B7 Oled to this year's LG C1.

I heard there is no DTS support though.

If that is the case, I need some advice:

I use external stereo speakers (Klipsch The Fives in my case) via HDMI ARC (just like a soundbar).

The sound option on my B7 is set to External Speaker (Optical / HDMI ARC) and the Digital Sound Out option is set to PCM instead of Auto.

If I use this solution on C1, will it play (in PCM) the DTS content on my USB?

Thank you for your help in advance.

With regards,

Pavel

chenks

the TV doesn't support DTS in any way, it can't natively play it and it can't pass it thru to other devices.
you would need to convert the audio to something else before it reaches the TV.

Last edited:

k-spin

the TV doesn't support DTS in any way, it can't natively play it and it can pass it thru to other devices.
you would need to convert the audio to something else before it reaches the TV.
Did you mean to say that it can't pass DTS through to other devices?

chenks

Yeah, can't do anything with DTS

next010

Distinguished Member
The sound option on my B7 is set to External Speaker (Optical / HDMI ARC) and the Digital Sound Out option is set to PCM instead of Auto.

PCM = stereo on ARC, your current configuration on the B7 is set to stereo only audio so your not using DTS.

With your current HDMI-ARC only sound bar one option is to get an OSMC Vero 4K+ or Nvidia Shield set top box that can run Kodi and are USB capable of playing videos.

In Kodi pass-through settings tick the box for Dolby transcoding, this will make it convert in real time any 5.1 audio source into Dolby Digital 5.1

The internal video player on the LG cannot do this, so you need an external video player.

The other method is to decode DTS as PCM 5.1 but this requires set top box and eARC sound bar.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think that it’s both lazy and inexcusable for LG not to support DTS on any of its new kit. It’s not as if DTS codecs are niche in any way. A Sony TV is probably your friend, but even then, a soundbar with eARC will be needed.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
I hate my BX because of this. Regret buying it.

earc= no lip sync issues, no dts
no earc = heavy lip sync issues, dts

next010

Distinguished Member
I hate my BX because of this. Regret buying it.

earc= no lip sync issues, no dts
no earc = heavy lip sync issues, dts

You can use a media player that can decode DTS as PCM 5.1 which eARC can pass to sound system, no quality loss as PCM is uncompressed digital audio.

Kodi for example, leave pass-through disabled and just set the number of channels = 5.1 and that sets the PCM output to 5.1 or 7.1 if you want to pass DTS-HD as PCM 7.1

If you dont have a multi channel PCM capable sound system as a last resort option in Kodi
  • enable pass-through
  • tick the box for Dolby 5.1 only and tick the box for real time transcoding.

That should convert the DTS audio into Dolby.

If your only using a BD player most of those should have a PCM output option.

chenks

It’s not as if DTS codecs are niche in any way.

in reality you only DTS audio from a DVD or bluray.
no streaming services use it.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
You can use a media player that can decode DTS as PCM 5.1 which eARC can pass to sound system, no quality loss as PCM is uncompressed digital audio.

Kodi for example, leave pass-through disabled and just set the number of channels = 5.1 and that sets the PCM output to 5.1 or 7.1 if you want to pass DTS-HD as PCM 7.1

If you dont have a multi channel PCM capable sound system as a last resort option in Kodi
  • enable pass-through
  • tick the box for Dolby 5.1 only and tick the box for real time transcoding.

That should convert the DTS audio into Dolby.

If your only using a BD player most of those should have a PCM output option.
thanks for your fast reaction!

i will sound like a total n00b but I am kinda confused now.

I had posted my problems in another topic but here it is in short again:

had lip synch issues that i could not fix so i had to start earc. I already had the impression that i could not get dts on my reciever using earc. last week i installed a nvidia shield tv pro and there i got the confirmation that there was an issue with dts (see pictures)

in the nvidia shield settings on auto, dts, dts hd and true hd are not picked, not available
in Kodi i did not get sound when i selected dts. now i have dolby digital plus selected as well. I did get surround sound on my reciever when playing a dts file on kodi. does that seem a bit right?

I am a bit confused that i have to set the number of channels to 5.1, i was told i had to set it to 2.0 since there is no difference with passthrough?

my marantz 1711 does support pcm it seems. If i play something on my sony uhd player will it get watered down when i use earc on my Marantz? It won't be dts but something of a decent quality?

edit: can only media player do that dts to pcm 5.1 decode? ps4? xbox one? regular sony blu-ray players?

Attachments

• nvidia.jpg
    nvidia.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 483
  • shield 2.jpg
    shield 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 510

chenks

the first image is the shield showing you what audio formats are supported by the TV - nothing else.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
in reality you only DTS audio from a DVD or bluray.
no streaming services use it.
True, but there an awful lot of DVDs and BRs that only have DTS audio. If you take LG's viewpoint, then people are being blocked from enjoying content that they've paid for because the company can't do a proper job for its customers. Like it or lump it. If new Sony TVs can support all Dolby and DTS codecs when configured to support eARC, why can't LG?

chenks

i agree, and i have a lot of content with DTS audio, which is why i only use the TV as a "monitor", it doesn't handle audio for anything at all.

LG have made a decision to not pay for the DTS licensing and will have based that on how likely people will be using the streaming services over physical media.

LG didn't hide the fact that DTS wasn't supported, so people were able to made an informed decision before purchasing.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
if the lip sync issue was not so horrible with my BX i would not have to use earc and i would not have to care about the lack of support for dts. i am now only talking about my own situation of course.

never did i dream that I would have to use sh*tty earc

chenks

fix the lip sync issue at source then.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
i have been trying for weeks to fix it but i can't get it right. i am a hardcore collector with thousands of movies but I am at the point of giving up on this hobby. Watching movies on this bx with my surround system has become stress, a burden and not fun.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Change the BX. As soon as I can afford it, I’ll be replacing my non-OLED LG. I like the picture and facilities overall, but the lip sync is atrocious.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
Change the BX. As soon as I can afford it, I’ll be replacing my non-OLED LG. I like the picture and facilities overall, but the lip sync is atrocious.
well i would like to but having spent 1700 euro's not even 6 months ago... i kept my panasonic plasma 11 years (and still use it in the living room since the BX is driving me nuts)

with my plasma i had to set the lip sync lag once and everything was fixed.

do you have the sync issues with a surround system? soundbar? what have you tried to fix it? is it also very different from source to source? movie to movie?

chenks

do you have the sync issues with a surround system? soundbar?

i have no audio sync issues with my CX - in either direction.

shield > soundbar > CX
CX > soundbar.

eARC enabled on all devices.

tigertanaka

Novice Member
i have no audio sync issues with my CX - in either direction.

shield > soundbar > CX
CX > soundbar.

eARC enabled on all devices.

guess I was not clear. i had horrible lip sync issues before using earc. earc fixed the lag but earc / the tv also is the reason I can't play DTS in it's original form

LG didn't hide the fact that DTS wasn't supported, so people were able to made an informed decision before purchasing.
Hmmm...

Unless prospective buyers actually read the TV's specifications, they would not have not known that DTS decoding support was not available!

I dare say that repeat LG television buyers would have expected DTS decoding support to have been included by default - Just like it had been for many years previously!

chenks

guess I was not clear. i had horrible lip sync issues before using earc. earc fixed the lag but earc / the tv also is the reason I can't play DTS in it's original form

Very clear.
Just stating I have no sync issues in either direction. eARC is simply enabled because it should be in my situation (and in most situations)

chenks

Hmmm...

Unless prospective buyers actually read the TV's specifications, they would not have not known that DTS decoding support was not available!

I dare say that repeat LG television buyers would have expected DTS decoding support to have been included by default - Just like it had been for many years previously!

I'd expect anyone spending the amount of money on such a TV to actually read the spec.

If they didn't then they are fools

I'd expect anyone spending the amount of money on such a TV to actually read the spec.

If they didn't then they are fools
For new LG television product buyers, I agree.

But for people who regularly update their LG televisions, they expect improvements and consistency. Not sneaky downgrades!

tigertanaka

Novice Member
Very clear.
Just stating I have no sync issues in either direction. eARC is simply enabled because it should be in my situation (and in most situations)

not sure what you mean in either direction? you can't or shouldn't enable earc if you connect your sources to your reciever and not directly to your tv?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton