1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS Out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gtfc, Jan 19, 2002.

1. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't get my Sony NS300 to output a DTS Signal from JP3 to my amp (acording to box it has it ), the legend in the display stays in DD mode.

Anyone seen this before.

Many Thanks

John

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What amp do you have? Without being patronising, have you selected DTS from the JP3 audio setup menu?

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and, in addition to that, have you turned DTS on in the dvd menu. Usually DTS is turned off as default

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that most DVD players have the electronics on board to process the audio stream that it was presented with. So if you give it AC3, it will output a bitstream which a Dolby Digital decoder can process. If your disc has a DTS audio stream, it will output it and you have to buy an expensive DTS decoder to hear it. Maybe JP3 is AC3 and the DVD thinks it's AC3??

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep. My DVD player doesn't distinguish between DD and DTS, just asks for a digital out to be turned on, and lets the amp do the work. Not being familiar with your player, maybe it needs to be set to output DTS? Unless 'Doom is on about the JP3 DVD menu, in which case I already covered that.

6. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all ,

Thanks for the replies.

I'ts a Kenwood KRVX 9050, The Sony Audio menu is set up with Digital output ON, DD On and DTS ON. via a Digital Coax.
    You don't seem to be able to deselect DD and leave DTS on so I assume either format sends out an identifying signal to the player and RX.
    MY DD mode light is lit on the receiver together with THX.
    As the actual disc is a Rental one could that be minus DTS which is only present on a full retail double disc version.
    There is no Audio setup menu I can see on the Intro.

Regards

John

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's bad news then though call up the menu and check under "Language Selection". Or play the movie and try to toggle the soundtrack using the 'Audio' button on your remote.

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD player has an option in the audio menu that turns on/off the passing of the DTS signal to an amp.

If its off and you select the DTS soundtrack, you get no sound.