DTS or not DTS?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickH, Dec 19, 2002.

1. NickH

NickH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that in order to get DTS sound you have to have a DTS compatible player (with DTS Digital Out logo) and a DTS amp. This is because the standard digital out on DVD players, used for Dolby 5.1 cannot cope with the extra data involved with a DTS soundtrack (since DTS uses less compression)

This seems strange as the display on my amp (connected via coaxial didgital out) shows it is receiving a DTS signal, but my player (wharefdale 750) does not have DTS. Perhaps all it's getting is the bit of the DTS data that says it's a DTS track and not the rest. If that was the case though, you'd expect the sound to be knackered.

I had thought that the DTS logo on the player was because the player had the DTS decoder on board, but from looking at the DTS website http://www.dtsonline.com/home/logos-hardware.shtml, the DTS logo on the player is just saying that it is sending the DTS data to your amp, and the amp does the decoding.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    from memory, the wharfdale can output DTS via its digital output...

As long as your amp has a decoder for DTS and your player can output the DTS information via its digital link then you will hear DTS just fine....you dont need an inbuilt DTS decoder in the DVD player these days (unless you have an old amp withput a decoder which has a six channel input) as the 99% of amp these days have built in decoder to do all the hard work...

JJ

3. NickH

NickH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

So is it true to say that not all players can output the DTS signal via the digital out? I'm looking to get a new player and want to make sure it will send the DTS signal (I have a DTS decoder in my amp)

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think most modern players now come with this by default...you can always check by looking at the spec, but is is very, very likely that it will come with the ability to output DD/DTS...

JJ

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    DTS isn't part of the DVD official spec but as it is now relatively cheap to include it, most manufacturers do