1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS or Dolby 5.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tommo24, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please clarify which is the better sound, is it DTS or Dolby 5.1?

Thanks

Tom

2. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In short, DTS. As far as I know it has a wider frequency range for the rear surround channels. The same frequency range as the front stereo channels. This comes at a price though - a DTS soundtrack takes up more space on the DVD comparred to DD5.1

You're going to need a good DTS amp and good set of speakers to really apreciate the difference though.

4. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Info appreciated and explains why region 1 dvds often in DTS but have less features.

Regards

Tom

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mod - Moved to more appropriate forum, fraggle.

6. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that both Dolby and DTS have the same frequency range for all of the descrete channels. I belive there is some differnece between the way the sorround backs are used.....I only have 5.1 so havent really studied the white papers etc on this.....have to get on board with that!

However, as stated before, you need a really good system to really notice the difference between the two. Even if you can hear a difference, your never quite sure whether its a good one, bad one or just plain differnent!

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is loads of theory that is probably irrelevant.

In practice it is down to the mastering of the individual disc and on some, DTS has been mastered better and on some it is Dolby Digital that is better.

DTS does tend to be mastered louder than Dolby Digital which some interpret as sounding better and they have the better marketing department by far.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    this has been discussed to death, just do a quick search.

9. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Read this:
    http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/adbarr/page1.html

I think there's no point discussing this subject when there's loads of threads about it. AND the above URL has a great non-tendentional article about the subject...

Just read!

10. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why are you asking us?

Do you like the sound of one over the other? If so, that one is better.

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read on the DTS web-site, that DTS surrounds have a frequency range of 20KHz to 80Hz. I'll have to check it again.

But Dolby is full range i.e. 20KHz to 20Hz.

John

12. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Ok, I did this in the last EX/ES thread so will do it again here.

To set the record straight:
    Home DTS is very different to Cinema DTS so essentially ignore info about Cinema DTS as it really doesnt apply here. Cinema DTS rear channels are limited to 80hz-20khz as the LFE channel is encoded into the rears (cinema DTS is a 5.0 not 5.1 system). This is not the case with Home DTS.

As for the home codecs, the frequency range of the channels varies depending on the bitrate of the codec. Full-rate DTS(1.5MBit/s) has a response up to 24khz and half-rate DTS (754kbps) goes up to 19khz. Dolby Digital response is quoted as extending up to 20khz at 448kbps and 18khz at 384kbps, but then again DD will combine channels at higher frequencies.

As for which is better, well I think it's fair to say that Full-Bitrate Home DTS is indeed a better format than full rate home Dolby Digital. A blind comparison on a good HT setup will reveal a less compressed and more involving sound, but then again seeing as almost all DTS dvds are half-bitrate, which does not sound noticeably better, although this is always subjective, it comes down to which comes from the better master.

Although if you are talking about 6.1 films, then DTS ES 6.1 Discrete is a far better option than Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, but there are still a sadly lacking amount of titles featuring DTS ES Discrete.

If DVDs are released with DTS 6.1 Discrete or DTS 96/24 soundtracks or ideally a combination of both (although I believe this combination isn't possible) then the choice would be easy, DTS every time.

P.S. Debating the comparitive frequency ranges is pretty pointless anyway as most humans hearing tails off at around 16khz, but I guess if you were playing movies for your dog you'd want him/her to experience it as faithfully as possible! :D