1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS or DD5.1 on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, May 10, 2004.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer DTS but i think you will find releases of the last year or so are heading in the other direction, Region 2 has been getting DTS while region 1 has not on many titles.

As for what titles you should buy it really depends on the film but your setup will be enough to hear a difference on selected titles but on certain titles you will hear no difference, all depends really.

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Please don't let this descend into another 5.1 vs DTS debate :D :D

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi fukt, welcome to the forums :hiya:

You've basicly asked the age old question of home cinema (or at least it feels like it :D ). At the bottom right of each section of the forum you'll find a search facility, try the one in the dvd section (the one your in) and do a search for "dts vs dd" or something along those lines and you should come up with quite a few "heated" discussions on the matter.

If your wondering which one to get then you might find it reviewed here on the site:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=107
    These are great reviews IMO covering all aspects... e.g picture, sound, extras etc.

I personally think that DTS can sound the best for a movie, BUT, it entirely depends on the disc... IMO DD has been the better sound format on some releases that featured both DTS and DD.

I'll also agree with FoxyMulder, in that I think you'll see that it's the European and Asian markets that are getting the most DTS releases these days :clap:

Regards,
    Iain.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    In most cases, the differences between DD5.1 and DTS5.1 on the same title are subtle rather than profound.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally wouldn't let it influence me buying a movie. If a disc is only available in DD 5.1 and I want it, I'll buy it.
    Mind you, I'm the ring leader of the anti dts brigade around here...current membership - one.:rolleyes:
    Welcome to the forums...hope you have a long and worthwhile stay. Say goodbye to your life now mate...you belong to us now...:devil: :D

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In reviewing discs I have had the opportunity to listen to DTS and DD tracks. As a rule there is usually little to chose between them, but the very best DTS tracks seem to have added depth, a richness and openess that DD seems to find harder to reproduce.

7. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Simple solution, buy a DVD that has both DTS and DD and that is regarded as a 'reference' soundtrack, such as Gladiator or one of the LOTR EE DVD's.

Then get a friend to start the player in one mode without telling you which, then watch it a few days later with the friend switching to the other soundtrack - if you can hear a difference your friend can tell you what your preference is - if you can't it doesn't matter anyway.

The only drawback is sometimes DTS is mastered louder which can make it seem better when it is merely louder. You might need a sound meter to verify equivalent volume levels between the 2 listening sessions.

This is a good way to eliminate playback variation between different bits of kit as some brands favour one over the other in both players and decoders, you can only tell by listening yourself.

8. pinky3003

pinky3003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think we have been here b4

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Psssst i didnt start this thread.......... weird :)

10. POiSON

POiSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my previous name got deleted - must have been offensive or somethin - sorry for that - back with this nick

i started the original thread