DTS or DD 5.1? + LFE query...

rupbert

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the setup.

Sony STR-DB790
Sony 28FX68 > RECEIVER (phono)
Sony NS405 > TV (rgb), RECEIVER (coaxial)
Tannoy R2's (bi-wired)

The receiver is default 'A.F.D Auto', which can discern the DVD's encoding...

When I play the majority of my films, A.F.D chooses Dolby Pro Logic 3/2.1

On the display it show L and R with squares around them, then a C between with no square, then LS and RS with no square. According to the manual the square shows what the film is being downmixed too. NOTE there is no SW present.

It also shows LFE, which according to the manual means the disc is producing a seperate LFE range. Now subwoofer is set to 'No', the fronts are set to 'Large'. So does the LFE indicate that the bi-wiring is in effect, and that its sending the LFE to the speakers?

On the speaker setup on the receiver, I have set it to 2.0...

On the NS405, I have set DTS to 'On'. On Terminator 3 in the audio setup, I can choose DD 5.1 or DTS. If my understanding is correct, DTS and DD 5.1 are identical, both being discrete?

If this is the case, what are the benefits? Switching between both, it seems DTS is slightly louder.

When I play the majority of my films, A.F.D chooses Dolby Pro Logic 3/2.1

On the display it show L and R with squares around them, then a C between with no square, then LS and RS with no square. According to the manual the square shows what the film is being downmixed too. NOTE there is no SW present.
Ok, so far so good (since you seem to have only two speakers).

It also shows LFE, which according to the manual means the disc is producing a seperate LFE range. Now subwoofer is set to 'No', the fronts are set to 'Large'. So does the LFE indicate that the bi-wiring is in effect, and that its sending the LFE to the speakers?
LFE has nothing to do with bi-wiring. But with the settings applied the LFE should be routed to the front speakers.

On the speaker setup on the receiver, I have set it to 2.0...
Ok, here I don't know how the amp will treat the LFE in that case.
It might be dropped (downmixes in DVD players usually drop the LFE).

On the NS405, I have set DTS to 'On'. On Terminator 3 in the audio setup, I can choose DD 5.1 or DTS. If my understanding is correct, DTS and DD 5.1 are identical, both being discrete?
They are both discrete, that is correct. They are otherwise not identical (different encoding algorithms), competing formats actually.

If this is the case, what are the benefits? Switching between both, it seems DTS is slightly louder
The benefit depends on the disc, i.e. one some discs DD sounds better, on others DTS.
But since you use a downmix you won't really benefit from DD or DTS anyhow.

Thanks for the replies Reiner...

My next purchase is an MJ Acoustics 100 sub, so I guess the LFE query is not a critical long term concern...

When I touch the bass woofer on the Tannoy's, in particular during the driving sequence in T3, there seems to be a fair amount of action. However there isn't a sense of rumble in the room, more like a solid if flat 'punch'...

Even though its downmixing, it still sounds amazing. Even my mother, who generally knows 0 about technology acclaimed 'its like the movies, turn it down a bit'... :D

I really would like 5.1 eventually, but my room set up is quite awkward for rears. I am currently putting together a layout drawing, and will post it on these forums...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom