1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dts On Sky!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by installer09, Jan 6, 2003.

1. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of info I thought I would share , apparently Sky are going to be using DTS soon , quite supprised at this , Sky+ boxes will be upgraded with over the air software downloads.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Pardon my sceptisim but where did you here that?

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was posted on homecinemachoice.com as a news article and several other sites. It was part of a press release from dts themselves who said that sky+ was indeed compatible with dts.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep.

[Edit] Sorry wrong mag. It is on page 6 of What Video Widescreen Entertainment, Feb 2003 issue

5. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was given the news by a rep from one of my suppliers , but have also since read it in "What Video and TV"

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Right:)

I knew that DTS had been approved and included in the digital standard, not heard anything about SKY broadcasting DTS when they only pay lip service to DD which is by far the more supported format on television and film.

7. ceecee

ceecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is DTS ?

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DTS (Digital Theater System) is a method of encoding multi-channel (digital) audio in soundtracks. It is considered to be superior to std. Dolby Digital which uses higher compression ratios.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    By those that believe everything they read.

10. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :( Didn't realise the need to be rude on these forums!

I regularly listen to soundtracks encoded in DD, dts and SDDS. Whilst each of the formats has its benefits, when comparing DD and dts, dts usally comes out on top.

The argument you use IanJ is baseless to say the least, anyone with experience of audio compression systems will realise the benefits of using higher encoding bitrates. the dts standard allows for bitrates of up to around 1.5Mbps and DD 5.1 around 600kbps.

Another benefit of dts in the cinema is that the soundtrack is carried on a CD-ROM, not optically encoded on the celluloid, meaning that is far less likely to be damaged by cinema staff.

I hope that this sets the record straight.

11. RoyT

RoyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've never been convinced of the superiority of DTs over DD 5.1 either.

I must admit that I can't really tell a difference, my logic tells me that in a domestic environment, which is not designed for the greatest acoustics in the world, the difference between a compressed and uncompressed soundtrack would be difficult to discern..

But maybe I'm deaf :D

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    'DING DING' "SECONDS OUT - ROUND 27!"

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I my humble opinion and my ears DTS is far superior to DD using 5.0 (dont have a sub yet!!) DTS sounds better better centre channel and far more discrete rear channels giving a much better illusion of movement. DTS4.0 is great for Games such a pity so few support it, its great to hear the baddies sneaking up from behind !!!!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What argument - I didn't use one.

What DTS can do in theory is very different to what it does in practice and I believe that it is much loved by the type of person that will only wear designer clothes if the label is visible.

Anyone who tells me that the DTS version of Don Henley Live is better than the DD version, needs to have their ears syringed.

15. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My point exactly. :p

As you mention yourself, there is often a difference between theory and practice and naturally there are soundtracks that will turn out just as well encoded in DD 5.1

However, I must say that I have heard dts soundtracks that are superior to their DD counterparts; Gladiator R2 is an example of this.

I have no overwhelming love for dts or indeed any other sound encoding standard, I just appreciate the benefits of each technology without detracting from my enjoyment of the film/DVD I am watching...

I for one don't own/buy things on a 'label' basis solely for the purpose of showing off and I'm glad to hear that you don't either IanJ :)

I reckon we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

16. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh well their goes the bandwidth!

If Sky go down the DTS road we will surely see yet another fall in Picture Quality (as with the introduction of interacive services). DTS uses an enormas amount of bandwidth when compared to prologic o even DD. Maybe SKY should concentrate less on "extras" and more one picture quality.

My point is that the vast majority of people who site in my HT cannot tell the difference between Prologic, DD5.1 DD6.1 of DTS. They can all tell the difference in picture quality when I buypass the video processor and put SKY staight to screen! :)

Phil

17. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's true that some DTS tracks can sound similar to DD. The rest sound much better - and I don't mean bassier or louder.

I suggest several people need to get their ears syringed, that or better loudspeakers.

18. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In their press release announcing DVB DTV support for DTS Digital Surround, DTS specifically commented on scalability (something they haven't traditionally mentioned). Broadcasters are able to choose the bit-rate they wish to use, with the lowest option being 384kbps. Bandwidth being at a premium, I imagine this will be the bit-rate used by most.

DTS was designed with 1411kbps in mind, as used on LaserDisc and CD. The lower 754kbps variant was introduced in 1999. Now we have the possibility of 384kbps. Dolby Digital was designed with 320kbps in mind and now comes in 384kbps and 448kbps flavours. Given the choice, I know which one I would prefer to hear at 384/448kbps.

Adam

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Compatible - yes. Use it? I very much doubt it. With the right software upgrade, Sky+ could be compatible with SDDS. Why? 'cos it has the digital output. (Flame proof suit on - I KNOW there's no SDDS hardware available for use in the home - I'm using it as an example)

London buses used to have OXO on the side - didn't mean they would sell them though....;) :D