1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS on Kiss?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wilsot, Aug 4, 2005.

1. wilsot

wilsot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone own a Kiss dvd player? Does it have DTS? I'm thinking of buying the DP-558 but the spec doesnt mention DTS. I emailed them & they said that all their players have DTS but I'm not sure - no DTS logo on the front, no mention in the spec/manual...

Can anyone put me straight once and for all?

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Lookin at the specification, it doesn't look like it comes with an onboard DTS decoder, just a Dolby Digital Decoder, which means to hear DTS you'll need an Amplifier/Receiver that can decode DTS and connect the player to it using the Digital Audio output

3. wilsot

wilsot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current DVD player has a DTS logo on the front and the dts symbol comes up on the display when it's playing DTS. I have a surround sound amp which plays DTS. I thought that the DVD player had to "do" something with the audio that the amp then picked up on and then you had DTS.

So are you saying that you don't need DTS on the DVD player, just on the amp?

4. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yeah pretty much, the dvd player will stream the raw audio data over the digital audio to the amp, whereby the amp will take over and do the neccesary decoding. So it's not essential to have DTS decoding on the player or even Dolby Digital Decoding, so long as you have an Amp that can do the decoding and your DVD player can output the raw streams over the digital audio connections (which i'm guessing pretty much all DVD players can do)

5. wilsot

wilsot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for that, clearly I need to learn more about these things.

Seems like it's ok to part with the cash now...

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    My Kiss DP-450 which I assume is basically what the 558 is based on does actually have a DTS symbol on the front as well as many other symbols running along below the power button. Seems the later players based on these sigma chips don't bother with the symbols. My DP-450 has no problem outputting DTS via optical to be decoded by my amp. I seem to remember some early dvd players somehow prevented DTS working properly via optical or coaxial but if my DP-450 can do it I'm sure the 558 will have no trouble at all.

Also while I'm writing just thought I'd mention the fact I truly love my DP-450. It may not be state of the art now but its very stylish and can upscale any source to VGA/SVGA resolutions via a VGA adaptor cable. I play my divx/dvd movies via my projector and they look fantastic. I use a hacked firmware that allows even protected dvds to be upscaled and the player has no trouble outputing 5.1 divx/xvid soundtracks via optical. I watched a xvid version of steamboy last weekend. The film was rubbish but with the excellent visuals and superb sound it was almost enjoyable despite the lack of story and characterisation.