1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS music

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by neilneil, Apr 15, 2002.

1. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    To those that have bought music in either DD or DTS how are the discs generally mixed?
    I bought Jonatha Brook - Steady pull and whilst the disk is ok musically I bought it because I wanted to hear the rears being used as part of the performance. Track 2 (How Deep Is Your Love?) is the only track to make use of the rears as part of the performance. The rest of the disk mainly uses the rears to add ambience and reverb but not placed instruments or vocals. The result is that apart from track 2 I could prety much get the same effect with just the basic CD and Prologic 2 decoding!
    I know its not very purist to demand a 5 channel remix but I do enjoy listening to it.
    So back on track to my question, are most discs just ambience or do they really use the rears as part of the performance?
    If so which ones?

-Neil

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    without question the Bee Gees "One Night Only" DVD (DTS) uses all speakers nicely but the best for all round full usage (vocals as well as music) has to be Hell Freezes Over -Eagles.
    Other good discs include Steve Miller Band -Fly Like an Eagle and Joe Cocker - Night Calls.
    I think it's worth bearing in mind that a solo artist disc would be restricted to a front channel voice (for obvious reasons)..
    I'd never get rid of any of my DTS audio discs..:)
    and with very few exceptions I don;t really notice massive differences between DTS audio and DVD-Audio..

3. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, here are a couple of good music discs to try

Scorpions : acoustica R2 DTS
    Eagles : hell freezes over R2 DTS
    Roger waters(pink floyd): in the flesh-live R1 dolby digital

The scorpions disc is probably the best disc i have heard to date.

4. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ok, looks like I'm gonna have to buy the Eagles : hell freezes over. If it's region 2 then can I get the dvd from my local HMV or other high street store?
    Then I'm gonna have to learn to like their music. Damn that low disc count!
    There isn't a great deal of mainstream DTS is there, I wonder if the record producers really say to themselves Hay lets spend money on producing an Eagals multichannel surround disc.
    Perhaps what really happens is a recording engineer who is a big fan of the Eagles produces this mix off his own back then says look what I've done would you like to release it? Sound ridiculous I know but how else do you explain such an odd choice of release titles.

-Neil

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Alan Parsons "On Air" album was recorded by Alan Parsons in multichannel in 1995 and is a very good dts multichannel album.
    It seems that no one channel has priority over any other and all are mixed with a lot of thought so that the mix is not just multichannel for the sake of it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Mark

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    I've got the Alan Parsons disc but I honestly don;t know if I've ever put it on. Best have a bash tonight..:)

7. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a boys II men dts music cd disc and though im not really into the music, it gives all the speakers a work out. You have drums and vocals comming from the rears, it does sound quality