1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS LD Signal not recognized by amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Matt Horne, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Strange query here... merry chrimbo btw.

I have a Onkyo 898 amp... and a Pioneer 2950 LD player..

I have noticed with about 3 of my DTS Ld's the amp is not locking onto the DTS signal.. and I get complete silence.

I have about 25 DTS Ld's in total.. and If I play one of the ones I know work.. once the amp is locked on I can stop the player and switch discs (to one of the problem discs) and then play it fine..

The onkyo manual mentions that some discs may not work if the signal has been adjusted or altered? It may have something to do with the optical lead being fed through my demodulator before being converted to a co-ax signal to the amp. Just wondered if anyone had come across this sort of thing before ? Never had any probs with any DVD's...

Cheers

Matt

P.S Toy story does sound great in DTS!

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,
    I have the 925, and certainly there is an issue with flagged vs non-flagged DTS material on certain amps with this player. If the amp isn't sent a flagged DTS bitstream first, then some of them can fail to lock onto an unflagged bitstream. In the best case it goes completely mute. In the worst case it assumes that it is getting PCM and kills your speakers.
    I assume this is what is happening in your case although I can't be certain.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    sounds about right....

At least I know I am not losing it :) or that my amps knackered ..

Cheers

Matt

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Have you had you 2950 upgraded? I didnt think it came with DTS as standard.

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    No.. the player always had a optical out.. though it was upgraded to have the RF out for AC3..

Cheers

Matt

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the replacement player (CLD-925) and it has the same kind of issues. Neither officially supports DTS discs, but both will pass whatever bitstream they get off the disc. I think the problem is that the early DTS LDs are basically the same as DTS CDs - ie they false flag the bitstream so the player reads it as PCM and streams it out through the SP-DIF. I'm guessing this was done in the early days to allow older players to stream out the new DTS soundtracks. Later players don't seem to care, so the newer discs are mastered with the flag in the stream set to DTS - so the amplifier locks onto the stream much faster.