1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS in the UK

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bazzah, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this has already been asked, then sorry, I couldn't find it being discussed anywhere else. But, I was wondering why we hardly get any Region 2 DVD's in DTS, yet all the same films in th US are in DTS. For instance, Star Wars Trilogy in the US is DTS, but we only get DD 5.1! :mad:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    It also works the other way, too. The US release of Battle Of Britain only has mono DD, but the UK 2 disc SE has DTS and DD 5.1 :cool: I'm sure there's plenty of other examples.

Steve

3. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98

I think you'll find that statement incorrect. :lesson:

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i think there are a few reasons, like:

UK DVD's quite often have about 3 or 4 audio languages on them, leaving no room for a DTS track, which (correct me if i'm wrong) takes up a lot more room than dolby 5.1

DTS is an american, and apparently now japanese standard, not a worldwide one like Dolby.

Many cheap DVD players in the UK don't have a DTS decoder, so you wouldn't actually get any sound if you played the DVD in DTS, so they can't have solely DTS dvd's or they'd hardly sell any! (believe it or not, most people buy those crappy £30 dvd players)

5. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that we have many more languages, taking up more room on the disc, as Region 2 has several languages. But as for cheap DVD players, I would rather have an option of DTS or DD 5.1, so if you don't have DTS, you can simply use DD 5.1.

As for the Star Wars Trilogy, the US version does have DTS, and we only have the option of DD 5.1.

Does anyone know of any good sites to import US dvd's from?

6. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have the US R1 Trilogy as do many others on here and I can definately say that it does not have DTS..where you get this from I dont know.

As for US imports..read the sticky here :lesson:

7. -J-

-J-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - the US version of the Star Wars Trilogy does NOT have DTS as it is not George Lucas preferred format! but there may well be illegal versions that do contain it.

As for DTS dvds on R2 UK I beleive that in many cases we get DTS when the R1 US do not - some FOX titles for example (such as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) - its just a case of shopping around the different regions

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    Star Wars is only available in DTS on the dodgy pirates which used to sell for a packet on ebay....and these were mastered from the laserdiscs, which were DD5.1 only. No idea where the DTS track came from, but it certainly isn't Lucasfilm approved:)

9. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say a lot of the earlier DVDs region 1 DVDs have DTS when their UK counterparts did not. For example: lethal weapon 1 2 and 3, Die Hard 3, Point Break, the X Files fight the Future, Reservoir Dogs.

However now there seems to be more new UK region 2 DTS DVDs being released when region 1 only gets Dolby Digital. For example: underworld, Terminator 3, and as was previously mentioned the league of extraordinary Gentlemen.

YOU MAY FIND THAT south east asia & japan do even better when it comes to DTS!

10. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must have been dodgy copies of Star Wars on Ebay I was looking at then?! :nono:

Can you post that sticky again for me LDR - just opens up this thread for me!

I quite often have a look at the American DVD market to see what is coming out soon in the UK on DVD, and I have noticed that with most recent films, the majority are in DTS. I didn't know if it was just because when it comes to films, we seem to get everything a lot later than everyone else, or if there wasn't a large demand by consumers for DTS. I'll just go back in my hole now and keep quiet! :blush:

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Japan release lots and lots of stuff in DTS.
    The Lethal Weapon series was one of the earliest dual DTS/DD releases.Up to that point DTS dvd's were strictly no extras and usually pro-logic but no DD.However,Warner Brothers abandoned DTS after that as they found no real difference between DTS and DD and felt no need to use DTS on their dvd's,which continues up to this day...I think

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Titles distributed by Warners still contain DTS if the director or producing company ask for it, True Romance and Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves being just 2 examples which spring to mind, Warners concluded no difference but then again they used the exact identical sound mix so there aint gonna be a huge difference ( more subtle )

DTS and Dolby have both been voted as the mandatory sound formats for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD when they arrive as well as MLP 2 channel.

DTS ++ and Dolby Digital + are both going to be used for the new high definition formats, DTS will be lossless and Dolby Digital Plus will allow for upto 6mb/s for sound only but from my understanding new decoders and equipment will not be needed to play them and DTS lossless will be backward compatible, if your decoder can't play it then you will still be able to listen to it as traditional DTS and probably 1.5mb/s full bitrate ( not sure though )

13. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    dts on r2 release has really picked up over the last 2 years, now most dvds feature them. Fox are including it are most of there dvds these days and have re-released a few with dts, ie x-men, ID4.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not to mention the majority of Disney DVD's released here have dts whilst the R1 versions don't...Lion King, Monsters Inc, Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch to name but a few...

15. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although there are quite a few UK discs coming out with DTS,I don't think its fairl to say "most" have it.They may well do if you only buy recent releases of new films.
    There is an awful lot of DTS snobbery(and stupidity).In Japan they are re-releasing shedloads of movies simply to add a DTS track to it(and Movietyme charge around £27 for the ones they import).But really,is it worth it for an extras free disc just to have a soundtrack that if truth be told,you would not even know which was DD and which was DTS if you had them side by side,let alone as a standalone track.
    I love my DTS cd's,and Bohemial Rhapsody in DTS on the Queen DVD's is a real spine tingler,but I think if there was a DD equivalent,it would be difficult to tell them apart.The Anchor Bay release of the 70's Amicus films even had a DTS track for them.And like DD remixes of old mono stuff,the results were only adequate.Personally,if you pay £27 for a dvd you already have simply to get a DTS track,you are a mug.And a DTS snob.(You can just see it up the pub;"Oh yes,I rebought Jurassic Park from Japan-its DTS")

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW!!! I can't believe I didn't write that... ;)

(Do a search for my threads mate with dts in the title...I invented the word dts fanboy... :D )

17. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    It's quite possible to have both dts (even 1509Kbps), Dolby Digital tracks... and extras on one disc!

I disagree with the suggestion that people are mugs just because they buy a DVD they want with a dts track. Jurassic Park from Japan not only has dts, but it's also a Superbit title and is worth more on the second hand market than when it was available new, so anybody that bought that DVD is hardly a mug. ;)

18. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have to say that I find the term "DTS fanboy" offensive. I think if a person finds one sound format more enjoyable than the other and prefers to buy a DVD version that includes DTS rather than their bog standard DD local region , to get more enjoyment out of the DVD, then who are you or anybody else who uses the term, to label us with derogatory names that is intended as a slur.

I think the only snobbery comes from those who claim Dolby Digital is an equal of DTS. This board seems to have a small core of "Dolby Digital fans" who consistently insult DTS fans just for liking what their ears prefer to listen to during the movie.

I appreciate Dolby Digital but I have never been WOWED, I've become increasingly impressed with newer releases but never to the same degree as DTS. Why should I put up with insulting comments for liking something that generally sounds at worst the same or a little better, while at best can be phenomenally better!

Personally, I hate paying extra money to get a DVD with DTS but would only do so(or upgrade ) with the films that are going to appreciate it the most i e action/War/sci-fi films.

What do you do when you are unimpressed with one of your favourite films soundtracks? I felt completely disappointed by Aliens, so much so that I picked up the Japanese version with DTS. Am I a mug for wanting the best possible sound on such a a classic movie? I don't think so. Did I pay too much for it? Hell yes, but my previous version made me enjoy the film less because its poor Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

It always seems that "the DTS hype machine" is the reason why people prefer DTS however, I like to think that because more often than not DTS sounds better. Only more recently did I discover anything about "DTS hype" but my preference, like many others no doubt, was through watching DVDs and being impressed by what I heard.

19. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, in effect, you are saying that you are allowed to say that dts is better than Dolby Digital but we aren't allowed to disagree because YOU say it is...correct?
    Show me one hint of proof (a link will do) that has some form of scientific analysis that, at the end STATES that dts IS BETTER than Dolby Digital, and I'll show you at least 5 that say it isn't...

Geez, I only came on here to point people in the direction of R2 dts movies and what do I get... :rolleyes: ;)

Heard Empire Strikes Back yet? Kit properly set up and calibrated with a Sound Pressure Level Metre...? ;)

20. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think MagicMushroom was trying to say alot of people 'prefer' DTS sound, and that is their opinion. He was not saying that DD is crap, it's just his personal preference. I have to agree - DD5.1 does sound very good, but is in no way crap. I have just had a better experience with my DTS films.

21. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Here's Army Bloke when you need him??

22. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Army bloke is now family guy I think !

Dave

23. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Getting back to the title - I think it's fair to say with that there is no real pattern as to what region has or doesn't have more DTS soundtracks (although agreed the UK is better now than it was a few years ago). What it comes down to is that if you have a multi-region player and are willing to purchase various region DVD's then you have the widest choice of DTS titles...

Works for me at least :D

25. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That is it exactly! that and DTS fans should not be insulted for enjoying DTS.

the term "DTS fanboy" and all other forms of abuse on DTS fans should be banned

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you think the word "fanboy" is abusive, you have seriouse issues mate...

27. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have invented the word DTS fanboy, but you're DEFINING the word DD fanboy.... ;)

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite right to mate. Though, if you read the threads, you'll also see that I say the one isn't better than the other. My point being, dts fanboys will pay extorniate amounts of money (£60 for Jurassic Park!!! It's Jurassic Park for christ sake...)...whereas someone like me will settle for the cheaper (and just as good) Dolby Digital version because we want to watch the film not listen to the soundtrack...
    I suppose if I won the lottery and money was no object, I still wouldn't do it because I would have the system that wouldn't show any major differences in the formats...

29. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really didn't want to get involved in irrelevant bickering, but I have to ask a question. How much did you spend on all of you audio equipment that you have on your setup? I.e. amps, speakers, players etc. I only ask, because most people on these forums have spent a lot of money on their equipment, to get the best possible sound they can. I know when I am 'watching' a film, 50% of the enjoyment for me is the sound as well, which is why I have spent, for me personally, a lot of money on my audio equipment. If you have personally spent a lot of money on audio equipment, it sounds like you have wasted your money. Well, that is if what you say is true, and you only want to watch the film, not listen to the soundtrack! :rolleyes:

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now - let me ask you a question...What is the whole point of having Home Cinema as a hobby?
    My take on it is this...to reproduce the sound and picture quality found in high quality cinema's in the home...
    Now, when you go the cinema, do you know whether your listening to dts or Dolby Digital...? I can only tell what soundtrack I'm listening to when I go to screen 4 in Crawley UGC, which is THX approved and they play an SDDS track...which they do 9 times out of 10.
    If you can tell blindly what track your listening to, you are a better built human being than me...(and be honest about it...)