DTS Help Needed!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jay2000, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm finally in a position to set up my first surround system after getting by on a 2 channel set-up.

I want to buy a DTS amp but I'm on quite a tight budget.

I've been browsing through the Richer Sounds website and seen something that has totally confused me. They have a Kenwood KRFV5030 amp that is only Dolby Digital (not DTS) BUT they also state in the specs that it has '6 channel output for DTS'.

I was always under the impression that the amp had to have a DTS decoder on board to deliver a DTS output. Am I missing something here or just being dumb?

I have an LG 3350E DVD player with on-board 5.1 outs. Can I get DTS from this amp or not? Help!

Jay

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    it has '6 channel output for DTS'.

They mean 6 channel input for an external DTS decoder.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    What they mean is if your DVD player has DTS out on its phonos (ie onboard DTS decoder). You can connect them to the 6 channel input on the amp hence DTS output!. Its a bit of a con by Kenwwood because they did't provide onboard decoding. Or as the answer above states you can use a seperate DTS decoder but on a budget this is not a cheap option. Hope this helps. Paul

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

4. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, basically, if you want DTS, don't buy that receiver !!!

Because you're on a budget, you need to get a DTS receiver, since DVD players with On-board DTS decoding tend to be more expensive than the ones without. Most players have DTS-out, which means they can send the DTS bitstream to the Amp for decoding. Therefore I think you're better off buying a cheaper player, and a little more expensive receiver.

Regards

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

5. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys - I knew there must have been a catch somewhere... [​IMG]