DTS Headphone:X - Any special hardware needed ?

ribuck

Hi All,

Firstly - Happy new year to everyone, hope everyone is having a good start to the new year. Ok, so now onto my question, which is how DTS Headphone:X is delivered in Movies Vs Gaming, as i would like to watch movies and play games on night time without disturbing my family, and have the best possible surround sound experience through the headphone.

Ideally i would prefer to use higher quality headphones rather than gaming ones, and this is where my dilemma and lack of understanding begins

Now this is where i get a bit confused : On some forums i've read that for bluray movies that support headphone:x then no special hardware is required at the track is already pre-mixed and can be listened through any headphones, i.e. no hardware decoder / dsp is needed ?

For gaming, because the sound is changes all the time dependant on the game, i'm assuming that specific headphone:X hardware is required, i.e. the likes of gaming headsets that support headphone:X

Not being a big fan of gaming headsets, what other options are available out there that can be used with standard high quality headsets such as SennHeiser's ? Are there any standalone Headphone:X DSP/Dac's available ?

I had thought of buying an AV receiver that supported DTS:X / Atmos and just using the headphone socket but apparently this does not work and only Stereo would be delivered.

Any advice of any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom