• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DTS HD MA for PS3 soon.....?

RHW

The following on Hometheatreforum.com tonight, posted by David Boulet:

'New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available...

and the only BD player that will be updatable (for free) to "2.0" compliance, with BD-Live (web features).

The PS3 is already firmware updated for profile 1.1 (PIP) and decodes Dolby TrueHD internally. It will be updated to decode DTS-HD MA internally as well in the next few months is not sooner (info from the Sony insider).

The only thing the PS3 won't do is stream advanced audio codecs in raw bit-stream form to an external decoder as its HDMI 1.3 chipset lacks this ability (bummer). But with the internal decoding of DTS-HD MA soon to be realized, it won't be necessary since it can extract advanced audio to PCM over HDMI.

If you just want a cheap BD player and don't care about 2.0 web features, then get the new Panny 30 which will stream advanced audio over HDMI 1.3 and is 1.1 compliant (PIP). If you want web features, the PS3 lets you get into BD now and update it later for 2.0 compliance with the spec is ready.

There's no doubt. DTS-HD MA decoding is on the way. "Early 2008" was stated, and January-Feb is the expected time-frame based on the larger conversation (but if it comes in March, it's still coming).

Sony's delay is likely more about letting other stand-alone BD player manufacturers get their DTS-HD MA decoding gear on the store shelves first... for bragging rights. Since the PS3 is basically the swiss-army-knife of Blu-ray Disc players, Sony sometimes intentionally lets it take a back-seat for a time to give other manufactures a chance to distinguish their products.

For instance, it was *after* the Panny 30 went for sale with profile 1.1 that Sony finally released the profile 1.1 update for the PS3.

Oh, the same source told us that was coming as well. He's been right every step of the way since the PS3 went to market.'

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi :)
I have no doubt it will eventually come to the Ps3 but for me it's lost it's thunder a bit.
Good to have choice of course :smashin: but is there really going to be any upgrade over aTrueHD soundtrack?
hide.gif

jon1

Hi :)
I have no doubt it will eventually come to the Ps3 but for me it's lost it's thunder a bit.
Good to have choice of course :smashin: but is there really going to be any upgrade over aTrueHD soundtrack?
hide.gif

Where do you dig all these post icons from?:rolleyes::D

jon

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
hide.gif

There will be with Fox titles only currently offering DTS core on the PS3 of course :D

But I'm not buying Sony's excusse that Bitstream is not a necessity as PCM will do... who are they to tell me what I want or don't, sounds like they just want to flog me a PS3. :devil:

Krobar

I'm unsure if Sony will bother, you're average PS3 buyer could not care less, the licensing cost will be significant and the sort of people who do care I suspect Sony would rather they buy a full price player.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I'm unsure if Sony will bother, you're average PS3 buyer could not care less, the licensing cost will be significant and the sort of people who do care I suspect Sony would rather they buy a full price player.

thanks for that, saves me the trouble of having my own thoughts.

I own a PS3 and use it as a bluray player. I also have lots of discs with DTS-MA soundtracks and no TrueHD/PCM alternative. So I would very much like full decoding of those tracks on the PS3.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I own a PS3 and use it as a bluray player. I also have lots of discs with DTS-MA soundtracks and no TrueHD/PCM alternative. So I would very much like full decoding of those tracks on the PS3.

Hi richard plumb :)
True :smashin: it would be nice to make full use of my Ps3 and find out what DTS-MA actually sounds like and not just the core track. :D

mitchec1

Distinguished Member
thanks for that, saves me the trouble of having my own thoughts.

My PS3 is my bluray player as well. It now has come to the point where the missus has been reading my mag's and the forums and has got interested in HD and sound formats she keeps asking if/when we'll get DTS-MA.

In fact she's offered to buy me a new Onkyo if she's impressed :clap:

Blu4KHD

Good news for the PCM brigade bad news for the Bitstream crew of which i am one, looks like my US PS3 will be relegated to streaming duty as soon as a decent Multi Region Blu Ray player with bitstream capability arrives and is stable i will be buying one without doubt.

bjarneh

Standard Member
This is good news if the rumour is true, but since the library of Blue-Ray releases with DTS-HD MA is growing I would rather see this released already.

Early 2008 could be January, but it could just as well be May...

Hopefully the latter.

/Bjarne

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom