dts hd and true hd

andy2322

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just about to buy this system

Onkyo HT-S5405
I have the fat ps3 so can it play dts hd and true hd?

Yeah, it can, but your phat ps3 can't send out DTS-MA, or Tru-HD, it will however send out multichannel LPCM(same thing, but the ps3 does the work), whereas the slim will bitstream DTS-MA, and Tru-HD.

So, yes, you will get HD audio, you just won't get the display on the amp to say it, or if it has a light, it won't light up to let you know an HD stream is being played back.(this annoys some people, who have a love of all things display, and lights.) :laugh:

And I wouldn't mind if you could change that Avatar, as some may find it offensive.

Yeah, it can, but your phat ps3 can't send out DTS-MA, or Tru-HD, it will however send out multichannel LPCM(same thing, but the ps3 does the work), whereas the slim will bitstream DTS-MA, and Tru-HD.

So, yes, you will get HD audio, you just won't get the display on the amp to say it, or if it has a light, it won't light up to let you know an HD stream is being played back.(this annoys some people, who have a love of all things display, and lights.) :laugh:

And I wouldn't mind if you could change that Avatar, as some may find it offensive.
You got most of it right. If HDMI is connected, PS3 does all the decoding and passes DTS-HD and TrueHD audio to AVR as Linear PCM. The decoded HD audio through LPCM is as good as good Bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD. Unfortunately, you will not see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on AVR from LPCM.

You got most of it right. If HDMI is connected, PS3 does all the decoding and passes DTS-HD and TrueHD audio to AVR as Linear PCM. The decoded HD audio through LPCM is as good as good Bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD. Unfortunately, you will not see DTS-HD/TrueHD display on AVR from LPCM.

Er...yeah, whatever.:suicide:

It need to be clearly stated that PS3 cannot and will never bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD due to hardware limitation. Only the Slim can, and DTS-HD and TrueHD can pass-through HDMI only.

:suicide:
Try reading next time;)

:suicide:
Try reading next time;)
I did read it. As I said, it's mostly correct. It's not a firm answer. The firm answer is PS3 cannot and will not bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD. It does all the decoding and sending it to AVR as LPCM. On another hand, the Slim can bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD and pass-through HDMI connections to AVR.

The firm answer is PS3 cannot and will not bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD.

your phat ps3 can't send out DTS-MA, or Tru-HD

It does all the decoding and sending it to AVR as LPCM.

it will however send out multichannel LPCM(same thing, but the ps3 does the work)

On another hand, the Slim can bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD and pass-through HDMI connections to AVR.

the slim will bitstream DTS-MA, and Tru-HD.

Are you reading in a different language, as your answer is literally identical to RottenFox's answer :facepalm::rotfl:

Are you reading in a different language, as your answer is literally identical to RottenFox's answer :facepalm::rotfl:

I believe a different language is being used to read my post, as it is very similar to mine, oh wait..you already said that..:rotfl: :suicide:

This might be a groundhog topic :laugh:

Yes, I'm using English from US. As stated, RottenFox comments are correct. I confirmed it, and I added firmer answers whith these words (PS3 cannot and will not bitstream and Slim can bitstream). To fully enjoy surround sound from a fat PS3 LPCM, HDMI cable have to be used.

Yes, I'm using English from US. As stated, RottenFox comments are correct. I confirmed it, and I added firmer answers whith these words (PS3 cannot and will not bitstream and Slim can bitstream). To fully enjoy surround sound from a fat PS3 LPCM, HDMI cable have to be used.

:rolleyes:
You got most of it right, but I need to add firmer answers with these words.
To fully enjoy surround sound from a Slim PS3 bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, HDMI cable has to be used.
In fact the firmest answer I will now give is, whether you have a phat PS3, Slim PS3 or a standalone Blu-ray player, you will always need to use an HDMI cable to get DTS-HD and TrueHD always no matter the machine, & thats firm :laugh:

:rolleyes:
You got most of it right, but I need to add firmer answers with these words.
To fully enjoy surround sound from a Slim PS3 bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD, HDMI cable has to be used.
In fact the firmest answer I will now give is, whether you have a phat PS3, Slim PS3 or a standalone Blu-ray player, you will always need to use an HDMI cable to get DTS-HD and TrueHD always no matter the machine, & thats firm :laugh:
You got most of it right again. Regardless you use HDMI cable or not, you cannot get DTS-HD and TrueHD from a fat PS3. You'll get LPCM only, and you'll not see DTS-HD and TrueHD light up on your AVR. You're on the right track now!

LPCM is just the raw uncompressed soundtrack.
Think of TrueHD & DTS-MA as zip files that have the raw LPCM track compressed.
Once unzipped, you get the original LPCM track.

With the phat PS3's, you had to set the PS3 to 'unzip' the file & send the LPCM track to your Amp. ie PS3 does the work.
With the slims, you could also set it to bitstream TrueHD & DTS-MA directly to your Amp, & your Amp would then 'unzip' the files. ie the Amp does the work.

Whichever option you choose, the soundtrack sounds the same. The only difference is whether the lights on the amp come on or not.:smashin:

I'm sure blurayalltheway will be along later to confirm & give you firmer answers :D

LPCM is just the raw uncompressed soundtrack.
Think of TrueHD & DTS-MA as zip files that have the raw LPCM track compressed.
Once unzipped, you get the original LPCM track.

With the phat PS3's, you had to set the PS3 to 'unzip' the file & send the LPCM track to your Amp. ie PS3 does the work.
With the slims, you could also set it to bitstream TrueHD & DTS-MA directly to your Amp, & your Amp would then 'unzip' the files. ie the Amp does the work.

Whichever option you choose, the soundtrack sounds the same. The only difference is whether the lights on the amp come on or not.:smashin:

I'm sure blurayalltheway will be along later to confirm & give you firmer answers :D
You got it all correct this time...you'll get an extra credit for your effort! :D

I'm just messing around with you here....you guys are great. :laugh:

So what are you saying??? The Slim isn't a PS3 - Ah got ya

LMAO

So what are you saying??? The Slim isn't a PS3 - Ah got ya

LMAO
:hiya: Not so fast, and please don't get confuse. Slim is a PS3, but a fat PS3 is not a Slim. You can look at it this way too- Scion is a Toyota, but Toyota is not a Scion.

Fat PS3 don't have the same functionality as a Slim, but the Slim can do everything a fat PS3 can.

So they are both PS3's???????

A slim is a PS3??? but you said and I quote "PS3 cannot and will never bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD"

Just making a point here and being an arse, you for some reason decided to basically reword what rotten fox said then tried to validate doing so by phat and slim (even though Rotten had covered this already) and was pointless basically.

Last edited:
So they are both PS3's???????

A slim is a PS3??? but you said and I quote "PS3 cannot and will never bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD"

Just making a point here and being an arse, you for some reason decided to basically reword what rotten fox said then tried to validate doing so by phat and slim (even though Rotten had covered this already) and was pointless basically.
You're correct. Slim is a PS3, but only Slim+PS3 can bitstream dts-hd and truehd. PS3 by itself can do LPCM only. :laugh:

Sorry for taking up your time...and this is my last word on it. If I make any more comment on it, you can throw me under the bus! :cool:

*** is a Scion???

LOL.

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

but the Slim can do everything a fat PS3 can.

Yep, that's right..It does, and I just commented on how the slim does everything that my phat one does, when I slapped my extra items into the 4 usb sockets, then put in some memory cards in my slim card reader, to copy files onto my PS3, then decided to play some SACD's on it......oh wait...the slim doesn't do everything a phat PS3 can.

:laugh:

*** is a Scion???

LOL.

A pretty average car from Toyota, branded in America under a different name to try to sway buyers, that it's not a foreign brand.
Also, marketed at young people, mostly girls/young women, as the male's aren't that interested, in it.
Think they came out in 2001/2002.

Last edited:
RottenFox said:
Also, marketed at young people, mostly girls/young women, as the male's aren't that interested, in it.

Ah, sort of like a Wii then? :-D

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom