DTS for a Newbie to Surround sound options

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hendo25, Jan 2, 2002.

1. hendo25

hendo25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm completely new to this surround sound, and I have read loads of threads from this BB in the last few weeks for help.

I have decided to buy a DTS surround sound system, but I am obviousley on a budget and looking for advice and suggestions. I was originally going to get a package such as the Videologic options, or a Yamaha package, but this seems to be not such a good idea according to some people in here.

My budget is around £350 for reciever/speakers to run on my Toshiba 3109 DVD player. I know this seems a tight budget, but I can't stretch it too much past that. I am not a sound freak, looking for the clearest sound on earth - just a guy who wants to watch DVD movies in surround sound.

Can anyone please help me find a suitable option - either a package or seperates? Also what are opinions on the Videologic DTS system or Yamaha HTiB 20?

Thanks to anyone who can give me a bit of help on this.
    Cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Many of the forum members are not too keen on all in one systems but the Yamaha is different as the HTIB series is a stand alone amp coupled with five small speakers and a subwoofer. My neighbour has the HTIB 40 which I think is excellent value for money.

For traditional seperates have a look at Richer Sounds as they sell a Kenwood amp for about £150 and a variety of speaker packages to suit all budgets.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I hate the 'All In One' systems immensely.

But like Ian says, the Yamaha system is different, and a great idea that more manufacturers should try.

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just setup the Yamaha HTIB40 and it is very impressive. I think the build quality of yamaha equipment is excellent. It received 5 stars in the What HIFI awards 2000/01. I bought it from Hispek (01727 791133) for £379 (as advertised in What Hi-Fi) and was very impressed with their service. I ordered on 28/12/01 and it was delivered on 31/12/01 as stated. You will also need to buy a digital interconnect cable (£20 Upwards) to connect dvd digital out to receiver digital in to get the Dolby surround sound/DTS working (either coax or fibre optic). The packages contains everything else including brackets and cables for the speakers.

5. hendo25

hendo25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies... cheers.