1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS-ES sound dropout on LOTR

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mattk, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching LOTR R2 in DTS-ES and the sound went all was silent. After lots of playing around I found the following:
    It only happens in DTS-ES, DD5.1EX is fine I'm using a SONY STR-VA555ES, after turning off the surround back channel then back on again it worked again. I've tried different DVD players, cables etc to no avail. I'm just wondering if it's the DTS-ES flag on the DVD causing problems with my amp or just a faulty Sony amp? Sometimes the sound field indicator lights flicker as if they don't know what the sound is??? weird! has anyone else had sound probs??

2. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've had any problems with my 555ES using DTS (ES or not). But I'm not using a surround rear at the moment, just the basic five channels. I.e. I have surround rear set to OFF on the amp.

Also, I don't have the DTS-ES version of LOTR so I cannot say for sure whether you have an amp problem or a disc problem.

Not much help am I ;)

However, I have noticed that the DTS light will flicker occasionally when playing Blade 2 with the DTS-ES switched on (DTS[3/3]). But the sound doesn't change when this happens, so I don't worry about it.

Cheers

Ian

3. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm it only happens when the back surround is on and also when you pause or fast forward you get a large click/cracking sound as digital sounds when it's breaking up. I really don't know wether this is a hardware or software problem! :confused: I've spoken to Sony and they say " We don't know talk to your dealer!" I reckon it is a problem with the decoding circuit for the DTS 6.1 bit!! Everything else sounds OK. After waiting 3 months for this amp I wish I never bothered to upgrade but it does sound awesome.:)

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this happen on any other DTS-ES dics? Or just LOTR?

JD

5. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens on Monsters Inc and Jurassic pk 3 on DTS-ES they all have this sound glitching when fast forward or chapter scan. LOTR is the worst offender by having major sound dropouts? Weird problem this!

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No problems on an STR-DB930. Strange one indeed.

7. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an answer! This reciever has got problems detecting the DTS-ES flags, apparently in the US there has been an upgrade via the RS-232 port to solve this issue so I'm on the case of getting hold of it over here. All of you who have this receiver will especially have problems with New Line titles such as LOTR and Blade 2. My thanks to Alan for telling me about this on the DD 5.1EX thread!

8. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this is the same, but I used to own a Denon AVD-1000 DTS processor.

When playing certain disc's, the sound would cut "in and out". The problem would clear, if I switched off the centre channel on the AVD-1000 and just used the main left & rights for the front sound stage. Weird, I know.

I got onto Denon about the problem. They said the processor needed a "firmware update" because of the (at the time) new 754Kbps disc's.

It's a long shot, but maybe, there might be a firmware problem. If there is, then Sony need to look at it. Don't take any of their clap trap! I've had to pressure them into fixing my PC monitor. Which they said "never had a fault".

Good luck!!!
    JD

9. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

Very interesting !!!

If you do get anywhere with this let us know. I plan to go with the additional rear centre sometime in the New Year so would be interested in a fix, even though I haven't actually seen your problem yet.

Also, do you know what version of the fireware your 555 is currently running ? Mine is 1.40.

Cheers

Ian

10. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

That should have been firmware, not fireware :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've just been messing about trying it myself using Blade 2.

I see the same problem. Sequence of events:

1. Select DTS-ES from the DVD menu and start the film playing.
    2. The 555 sees the flag and switches to DTS-ES [3/3] as it should.
    3. Pause, skip chapter, rewind or fast forward then restart play and the amp still shows DTS light but switches to [3/2+1]
    4. Press the 6.1 Decoding button on remote (or front of amp) and cycle through AUTO to OFF to ON and then it switches back to [3/3].

I.e. everytime you interupt the play you need to cycle to get the amp to restart the decoding in [3/3].

Annoying to say the least. You would hope leaving the 6.1 decoing on AUTO would work, but no you have to basically give it "a kick".

I don't hear any problems with the actual sound, but there again I don't have a centre rear speaker connected yet.

Cheers

Ian

11. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SONY have at last officially said that is a problem with most STR-VA555ES amps with ver 1.40 software. They said that it has only just become a problem in the UK as it was first recognised in the states. They advise getting the amp back to your dealer who will arrange it to be shipped to West Drayton, Middx Sony repair centre where they will carry out the upgrade of software. Hurray we now have a solution!!

12. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray !!

Now, can I really be bothered to take my amp back to the dealer to then pass on for the fix, can I live without the amp for how ever long it takes etc. ;)

I'll think about it....

I say that as I tried Blade 2 again tonight with a very very cheap RCA cable as my digital coaxial cable rather than the more expensive cable I had been using. No matter how many times I paused, skipped chapters etc. the amp stayed in [3/3] mode. Weird.

Switched back to the 'proper' cable and the problem came back. Double weird.

Cheers

Ian

13. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Where is the software version displayed?

Cheers

Andy

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Found it, rotate the knob under the flap to the left.

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have spoken to my dealer, Sevenoaks (Southampton) and they have spoken to their Sony rep, who hasn't heard of the problem or the firmware update. Please can you let me know a name and phone number for somone in Sony UK who knows about the problem. Thanks.

16. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

An update for you and other Sony STR-VA555ES owners.

We have a fix for the DTS flagging problems with New Line DVDs.

See this thread for further info

Cheers

Ian