1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS-ES sound drop outs on LOTR TT???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nictry, Mar 14, 2004.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I have tried to search a bit with no success, I have just got a 6/7.1 set up and watched LOTR Two Towers R1 EE and noticed sound drop outs on the DTS ES mix, this happened a number of times and always in the same places, playing in DD EX had no problem and the 5.1 mixes were no probs either (on prev 5.1 amp).

I have done a bit of testing, and the story gets stranger, playing the above disc at 1:27:45 there is a distinct pause in the vocal, playing through my Tosh 510 DVD player, I then played the same disc at the same point through my DVD-R Panasonic E50 and no pause????? I don't get it, and if it was a faulty DVD player why only at the exact same times on the DVD? if a faulty amp it would not work with a different DVD player (or would it?)

Have got the Tosh through dig-coax and the Pana through Dig-Opt, any suggestions would be appreciated before I lose the plot? All connected through a Pio VSX812

All suggestions would be appreciated? Don't want to be experiencing this on any other DTS-ES mixes if I can help it?

2. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Is it a version for the English market, or is it from the U.S./Canada?

3. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    It is the R1 version

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It will probably be a (small) shortcomming on your one dvd-player. In general I found DTS to be more errorprone. Sometimes, on my player, it starts running out of sync a bit when FF or rewinding, while DD5.1 and stereo work flawlessly with this.

B.t.w.: I didn't experience this phenomenon on either disc 1 or 2 at the place you mentioned.

5. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    At last ! someone else mentioning the audio probs with lotr, I have noticed terrible dropouts on fellowship of the ring (extended version reg2) and two towers, particularly bad on choral peices of the musical score, I even noticed the same problem at the cinema so think there is a problem wiith the original recording. Listen to the part on fellowship when Gandalf is on top of Sauraman's tower, bad dropouts here ! or am I being to nurdish & picky ?

6. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    AVnut70, what you experienced on your DVD is a well known phenomenon. The PAL-conversion of part 1 of the trilogy is done with "less than desired" attention to sound detail. In particular the scene with Gandalf on the tower catching the moth (?) you can hear many small drop-outs because of this poor conversion. There must be several topics here and elsewhere about it. :)