1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS ES question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by braidkid, Feb 16, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,
    I recently purchased a Yamaha 5790 reciever with DTS ES discrete processor. I am running a 6.1 speaker setup with only one back surround speaker. For some reason I cannot get the receiver to go into DTS ES mode while playing Return of the King. Do I need to have 2 back surround speakers for DTS ES?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi braidkid,

You do not need 2 speakers to run DTS ES but it should be automatic once selected on the ROTK disc, can you manually select the ES on the Yamaha receiver itself to force it as maybe the flag is not being recognised?

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Sorry for asking the obvious :), but you do have the extended edition of ROTK right? As only the EE has the DTS:ES soundtrack. You also need to go into the setup menu of the ROTK disc to enable the DTS:ES soundtrack, otherwise it will play dolby digital by default.

4. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If all else fails you can use the remote to manually turn on the ES/EX decoder (I do this for most 5.1 films anyway).

5. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Yes, I have the extended version of Return of the King and have selected DTS ES in the setup menu. The reciever will go into DTS mode but not DTS ES. I'm thinking something may be wrong with the reciever. I've contacted Yamaha for advice.
    Any other ideas?

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does DD EX work and if so then maybe there might be something wrong with the DTS side, also the Yamaha Receiver you have is it a 7.1 receiver? cause if you have only connected 1 speaker are you sure it is in the correct output usually left one i think?

7. beavis2ooo

beavis2ooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, have you tried antother dvd, with an DTS-ES soundtrack?.

8. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, DD EX works. I have tried other DTS ES DVD's to no avail. Sounds like something's possibly wrong with my reciever. I'll go to the store I bought it from and ask them. Thanks all for your help....

9. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figured it out!!!! I had to change the PCM/Bistream settings of my DVD player to Bitstream. Now DTS ES discrete comes through!!!!

A question I have is what is PCM or Bistream and why wouldnt it work with PCM selected?

10. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCM is audio in already-decoded form (it's the same system used on CDs), whereas Bitstream is the still-encoded audio data. With PCM output your DVD player does the sound decoding itself and simply passes the audio signal on to the receiver to send to your speakers. With Bitstream, the DVD player does not do any audio decoding itself, but passes the DTS:ES signal to your receiver to decode. If your DVD player does not have a DTS:ES decoder then you can only get the rear channel by outputting the Bitstream data to your receiver, as you discovered. I hope that makes sense.

11. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Masped, a very good explanation of :dts:

Cheers,

Martin.

12. sonic65

sonic65
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi braidkid
    Noted with interest your comments on DTS ES Discrete. I can only get matrix but have yet to find a dvd with "discrete" mentioned on the case so that I am sure of the sound encoding in use. What region is your "Return of the King?"
    It seems that region 1 dvd's can be discrete but the same titles in region 2 appear to be matrix only.
    Just upgraded from a Yamaha DSP-A5 to a Yamaha RX-SL100RDS which has some 14 decoder programs. All ok but yet to obtain discrete. Can you please help?
    Thanks
    sonic65

13. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    all of the LOTR EE are DTS ES on region 2

Blade 2 Is also DTS ES

14. sonic65

sonic65