1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS-ES on AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by raymci, Aug 25, 2004.

1. raymci

raymci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is there any reason why my AVR300 cannot play the DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack of a DVD when configured with only 5-speakers (front/center/rear) i.e. no Surround-Back speakers? I only hear a faint noise from the speakers.

I previously posted this under the v2.84 software update thread, but this is annoying me a bit now... shouldn't the AVR300 play the DTS-compatible portion from the DTS-ES Discrete sound track when only configured with 5 speakers?

At the moment, I can only play the DTS-ES soundtrack if I enable the SurrBack speakers in the menu (even if I don't actually have any installed/connected)... is this a limitation of other amps as well??

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is, I believe, a bug. I am able to duplicate the problem on my AVR300 (I normally do have a 7.1 setup) by disabling the rear surrounds and playing the Stargate Ultimate Edition DVD (DTS ES 6.1).

I've also reported this problem to Arcam (in case they aren't aware of it yet).

Dean

3. raymci

raymci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's good to know... thanks for checking this out Dean. Hopefully we'll see this fixed in the next software update... :)

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arcam acknowledged my problem report. Although I can't speak for them, my experience tells me a fix would be likely in the next release.

Dean

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Arcam has fixed this problem with software update v2.90. Just saw it posted on Audiophile System website.

Dean

6. raymci

raymci
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Dean,

I saw that, and have upgraded to the v2.90 software. The DTS-ES films now play correctly now (shown only as DTS on the panel), so you obviously need to have the 7.1 speakers configured before getting true DTS-ES Discrete playback... which is fine! :thumbsup:

Top job by Arcam to get the fix in so quick.

Ray

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, because DTS ES is a 6 channel format.

Arcam has been really good about software issues quickly.

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ES-Discrete flagged material should get decoded if you have 6.1 or 7.1 system. In the case of a 7.1 system the discrete SB is copied to SBL, SBR and level is reduced by 3dB as you have two speakers reproducing the same signal. Same applies to ES-Matrix flagged material, when the disc is flagged as ES-Matrix and ES-Discrete encoded then ES-Discrete has priority.

If it shows as only DTS then that hints that the extensions are not getting decoded, so you'll get the baseline 5.1 DTS decode, or you have a 5.1 system in the place.