1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dts es matrix with Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pacha, May 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Upgraded a little while ago from Denon 2802 receiver to the 3805.

On the 2802 when i listened to a standard DTS (i.e. 5.1) soundtrack the display would tell me that it was decoding 'DTS es matrix' (this was with the auto flag mode switched off and matrix processing switched on.

On the 3805 i get either 'DTS surround' on the display (but speaker output is shown to the surround back channnel, or DTS+Neo:6 (I always thought that Neo:6 was for stereo sources only). The only time i get the 'DTS es matrix' display is when playing a true DTS 6.1 matrixed soundtrack.

Can someone please explain what i am actually getting and the differences between each setting on the 3805?
    Also, what is DTS enhanced Neo:6? (Is it something to do with this?

By the way, got the B&W PV1 subwoofer at the same time! Superb :smashin:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

If you get DTS Surround on the display but have Surround Back output then I'd imagine it's set to MATRIX OFF. Certainly the case with my Denon KA1SE. I suspect the other reason you're getting DTS+Neo6 as against DTS-ES Matrix is down to the disc flags. If it's flagged then you'll get DTS-ES Matrix on the display, if it isn't then you'll get DTS+Neo6 (assuming you have Surround Back output and Matrix Processing ON). DTS+Neo6 is a bit like DTS+PLIIx, it uses those algorithms to extract the Surround Back info.