1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dts es matrix with Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pacha, Feb 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just upgraded from Denon 2802 receiver to the 3805.

On the 2802 when i listened to a standard DTS (i.e. 5.1) soundtrack the display would tell me that it was decoding 'DTS es matrix' (this was with the auto flag mode switched off and matrix processing switched on.

On the 3805 i get either 'DTS surround' on the display (but speaker output is shown to the surround back channnel, or DTS+Neo:6 (I always thought that Neo:6 was for stereo sources only). The only time i get the 'DTS es matrix' display is when playing a true DTS 6.1 matrixed soundtrack.

Can someone please explain what i am actually getting and the differences between each setting on the 3805?
    Also, what is DTS enhanced Neo:6? (Is it something to do with this?

By the way, got the B&W PV1 subwoofer at the same time! Superb :smashin:

2. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my 3805 on a true 6-1 dts soundtrack mine shows dts-discreet which to my knowledge is correct, dte matrix is a 5-1 encoded dts signal mine also comes up showing dts+neo 6 on a 5-1 dts signal

3. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank's for reply however i'm fine with DTS ES discrete. I understand the format's themselves, just not quite sure i understand what the amp is doing at particular times, if anyone has a definitive answer please let me know.

Cheers
    :)

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,486
    I've got a 3802.

On mine when I am playing a DTS-ES discrete DVD, I get DTS-ES Discrete on the display, when I am playing any other DTS DVD, I get DTS matrix on the display which is taking the 5.1 channels and matrixing a 6th/7th mono rear centre channel.

According to the DTS site, there is no such sound format as DTS ES matrix.

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/technology/faq.php#faq89

Greg

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is indeed DTS ES matrix - the info on the DTS site doesn't contradict it either, but merely informs that DTS ES can support discrete 6.1. Even in discrete DTS ES, the rear surround channel is matrixed into the left and right surrounds to maintain backwards compatibility. The extra, discrete surround channel is subtracted from them upon decoding.

6. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also if playing a 5-1 dolby digital signal the 3805 comes up with dolby digital ex although its not a 6-1 encoding being fed, in i presume the display stays the same even if you have a 7-1 set up as the surround back would only be a mono signal sent to both speakers cant recall mine ever displaying dts-matrix my old 3802 did though

7. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    EXACTLY! But does anyone know why you get 'DTS+Neo:6' on display instead of 'DTS es matrix'?
    Also, you can get sound output from the surround back channels when the dispaly reads 'DTS surround' - What is the difference?

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The neo algorithms are running on top of the DTS signal. Not sure why you would want that but my yamaha supports it too. Maybe if a source is in dolby digital 1/2.0/2.1 then it uses the algorthim to turn it into surround otherwise it would only be mono/stero.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,486
    You get DTS Neo 6 on the display instead of DTS ES matrix because you must have selected that as the sound format on the amp. DTS Neo 6 is very much like Pro Logic 2. There must be a setting to change it back to DTS from the Neo 6, I know there is on my (old) 3802.

10. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if there is a setting for dts-matrix there was no dd-ex setting on the 3802 it just showed up as dolby digital 6-1

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    In the back of the manual should be a table telling you what modes you can use in relation to the input signals etc.

You should be able to cycle through the various modes using the front panel, OSD or the remote. On mine it's a case of pressing the 6.1/7.1 Button and cycling through the options of Matrix ON, Matrix OFF etc etc. Calling up the Surround Parameters will give you access to the various decoding format choices and surround back outputs.

12. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Is this the same on the 2805 ?

Reason I ask is the DVDs I've watched with DTS ES soundtracks (Return of the King EE being one of them) only show as DTS Surround on the display.........
    I've only got a 5.1 setup at the moment - will it only display as DTS ES if I connect a surround back speaker, or is there a way to do it without ?

Thanks guys........

Ian.

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I don't think you would get any benifit without the extra speaker(s) so maybe the software on the denon knows and does alow the dts or default to normal dts when the back speaker are not pluged in. I know i can force PL IIx on my yamaha even though i only have 5.1, but being a different brand and all it doesn't really answer your question.

14. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The 2805 will only only display DTS if you have a 5.1 setup as this is what is being broadcast.
    I have 6.1 on my 2805 and get DTS 6.1 discrete

15. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my old 3802 and my 3805 only show up dts es discreet if feed with a true 6-1 dts signal because its the only true dts discreet signal, no dts 5-1 signal should display discreet it should show up as dts es matrix

16. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check that decoding is set to auto.

This way the DVD flag will pick up DTS ES and provide the centre rear channel.

Check that your normal surround mode is not NEO6 overriding auto selection.

I have a Sony and leave 6th channel permanently matrixed ie for SKY non DVD material.

But I have to change the 6th channel setting to Auto to ensure proper decoding of DTS ES material with descreet 6th channel

17. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you leave the 3805 on auto on a 5-1 dts soundtrack it will go to dts+neo 6 which according to the book denon say is the best setting, i dont think it have anything to do with the input signal because on my 3805 it shows 6 seperate input signals and shows 7 on the signal output, will try to find out how to change output to dts es matrix next time i use it to see which i prefer

18. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry guys, but John R1 seems to be the only one who really understands what i'm getting at.
    Let me explain again:
    If i play a 5.1 DTS soundtrack i get DTS+Neo6 on the display (with rear channel working) (Not sure if this is correct-my old 2802 would read DTS ES Matrix)
    If i play a 6.1 DTS ES Matrix disc (e.g Die Another Day) i get DTS ES Matrix on the display. (This is correct)
    If i play a 6.1 DTS ES Discrete disc (e.g. Seven) i get DTS ES Discrete on the display. (This is correct)

Hope this explains what is happening a little better. Are there any 3805 owners out there who can explain this?

19. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    played a dts 5-1 disc last night looked through the display it came up dts surround then it said dts matrix was on then it switched back to as normal dts+neo 6 so i still dont know if you can select dts-matrix for a 5-1 dts soundtrack will have a look at the auto flagging set up when i can find it again