1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS ES and SR4300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by john_p, May 16, 2003.

1. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a Marantz SR4300, and I'm very pleased with it.

I have six speakers hooked up (L/C/R/SL/SB/SR), and they all work correctly in the 'setup' menu and surround modes etc.

However, I can't get it to run DTS-ES with all six speakers. I am trying it with Gladiator (has DTS-ES on the box) and it refuses to turn on the surround back channel, no matter which mode I set the amp to. I have selected the 'DTS' audio channel from the DVD's audio menu, and the SR4300 selects 'DTS' mode, and lets me select 'DTS ES' but with only 5 speakers active.

I tried a couple of DVD players but no luck.

Any ideas?

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a 5300 and even if the dvd is only in 5.1 when th amp is set to es/ex mode the centre rear works.

I assume you have sound when in setup mode (setup/T.Tone on the remote).

Have you tried it in Neo 6 from a 2 channel source?

3. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I select DTS audio and start the film, the amp switches into DTS. The 'S' indicator on the LCD (to indicate the Centre Back speaker is on) doesn't light up, all the others do. No sound comes from the SB speaker.

If I switch manually into 'DTS ES', the 'S' indicator stays unlit, but the speaker does make sound.

Could this be as simple as a broken indicator on the panel?
    :confused:

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 'S' indicator will not light if it a DTS Matrix signal or for that matter a Dolby Digital EX (they are both Matrix signals), which means the center data is encoded into the rear left and right chanel, unfortunatley there is no flag on the disc to tell the amp the signal is there so you have to switch manually hence the EX/ES switch.

The 'S' will only light if there is a Discreet track there (seventh seperate track on the DVD only avaliable in DTS) try Blade II to see if it is working.

Hope it helps - sorry about the spelling no time to check Buffy is on in a minute.

As long as you have sound coming out of the rear, it is working dont worry about the 'S'.

5. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Actually the centre rear LED will light up with a DTS-ES matrix soundtrack and Dolby Dig EX (as long as it's flagged). I have Terminator 2 region 1 which is DTS-ES matrix and Pearl Harbour region 2 which is Dolby Dig 5.1 EX. On my Marantz SR7300 the surround back LED is on when playing both DVD's. Surround mode is set to auto.

I'm not sure if all DTS-ES matrix DVD's are flagged as such so as pwiles suggests, try a disc in DTS-ES discrete (blade II, se7en LOTR extended).

Marcus

6. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hooray, any excuse to buy more DVDs :D

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had been told by Marantz that DVD's do not Flag the EX & ES Matrixed format, I had assumed this meant the format did not support flags, but obviousley they do but do not get used, nice to see consistency in the industry, or not. Thanks for the Info.