DTS & DTS 96/24, best way to ouput from player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by museumsteve, Oct 31, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    Can anyone enlighten me as to which is the (supposedly) best way to play DTS and DTS 96/24 discs? I have a Pioneer 939-A and a Denon K-AVCA1SE. I have generally used optical and been happy with the results although I've started to see a few comments on the web that perhaps using six channel analogue output is preferable especially with DTS 96/24. Can anyone expand on this?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think that was possible to do that with the analogue inputs?

John :)

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    to do what? (or am I missing something)

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sorry i was a bit vague, what i mean't was i did not think that you could run DTS 96/24 thru anologue inputs only digital :rolleyes:

John :)

5. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are very few players that can output DTS via analogue connections and I don't know of any that can output DTS 96/24. I believe only receivers/pre/pros are able to decode DTS 96/24 at this time.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is what i thought

John

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    i cant be sure, but from what ive seen, only optical or coaxial (the better choice) will pass a digital signal like DTS.

The difference betwen Plain old DTS and 96/24 is not yet so obvious coz hardly any DVD players, and DVD's support this.
    I have yet to see a DVD player and a DVD disk for that matter that supports DTS 96/24.

Same goes for something like DTS ES. I know in theory you only need 6.1 or 7.1 to use this but if the DVD player doesnt support it should it NOT work? even if the disk does and the amp does.??

Its all so vague at the moment, and in the near future we are going to see new sound formats with new formats like blu ray and HD DVD, so DTS might end up dissapearing as it will be inferior to the newer formats.

TBH i think that all these different "versions" of DTS and Dolby Digital are just to keep people thinking they need to buy a new amp or DVD player when in reality we dont.

8. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS 96/24 is a higher resolution (though still lossy) version of DTS and I believe it's primary purpose (at least in the short run) is to offer higher quality audio for music and concert videos on DVD. Peter Gabriel's new video compilation is encoded in this format and I look forward to hearing it. The 96/24 discs also have a regular DTS track to be compatible with the vast majority of gear out there. On this side of the pond, DTS 96/24 is becoming increasingly common on receivers and pre/pros and I suspect that most new DVD players are capable of passing the enhanced data stream via digital connections without too much difficulty.

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ovation i have the new Peter Gabriel "Play" DVD and have to say the sound is very good and has impressed me i just wish there was more discs availible with DTS 96/24 the sound is similar to DVD-A it is very open sounding and nicer to listen to.

John

10. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we'll see more in this new format as time goes by. Besides, it doesn't seem to suffer from all the self-inflicted problems that DVD-A and SACD have (though I've gone ahead and plunged into those waters too).

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly hope so :cool:

John

12. Shenoizy

Shenoizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The Region 3 version of Phantom Of The Opera has 24/96 DTS and it sounds fantastic.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Queen are really good for 24/96 which most player should output fine, the processing requirement for this mode are LARGE however and you need LOADS OF MIPS. The really limits it to the higher spec machines in general. There are also issues with the signal being sent at 48Khz and decoded at 96khz.