DTS drop in sound detail on Denon receiver

D

Depechie

Hey guys,

I have a big problem with my current home cinema setup !
First the hardware detail before I go into the problem :

A Sony DVP-S525D dvd player
A Denon 2802 receiver
6.1 speaker setup with Celestion speakers at the front and B&W in wall speakers at the back

What's the problem, well, I have a huge drop in sound detail when I play DTS dvd's !! Each time there is an action packed scene with lots of music effects, the sound level ( and detail ) seem to drop !
Just like the receiver can't cope with the total amount of info. It just sounds dull !!
I don't have this behavour with Dolby Digital sound...

An example, movie Batman - begins, the first time he goes into the bat cave the bats begin to fly around Bruce Wayne, well it doesn't have any impact !!! And I'm guessing it should though.

Any thoughts, suggestions ?

Greets
Glenn

D.COMP. (Dynamic Range Compression):
Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range
(the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For
listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is
lower than usual, the Dynamic Range Compression allows you
to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack (but with reduced
dynamic range). (This only works when playing program
sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.) Select one of the
four parameters (“OFF”, “LOW”, “MID” (middle) or “HI”
(high)). Set to OFF for normal listening.
This parameter is displayed only when playing compatible
sources in DTS mode.

Thanks !
I've found the same text in the manual.

I will check this this evening !!

Glenn

Sorry to jump on this:rolleyes: If the d.comp is on, will he be losing detail or gaining? Is it only supposed to be used for night listening etc?

It was turned off !
So I don't think that is the main issue...

Back to square one :(

Check that the DVD player is outputting a Bitstream signal for both Dolby and DTS just in case it's converting the DTS track to PCM or something.

You can make sure by checking the Amp's display and see what it's showing (DTS etc).

Assume you're also actually selecting the DTS track on the actual disc? By default they aren't usually selected.

Out of interest. What region is your Batman Begins disc? Didn't think it was available with a DTS track.

Hey Jase !

The receiver checks the DTS tracks, so the dvd player is giving it the correct output ( no PCM ).

I've checked several DTS discs and always have the same feeling, DD just has more impact !!

But to be completly honest, I don't understand why the receiver is swithing to DTS for the Batman begins !! Because you are right, it's not mentioned on the cover that it has a DTS track !!

But to be completly honest, I don't understand why the receiver is swithing to DTS for the Batman begins !! Because you are right, it's not mentioned on the cover that it has a DTS track !!

I'd find out why that's happening if the disc doesn't have a DTS track. Sure it's actually receiving a 5.1 signal from the player? Press the STATUS button on the Amp and see what it says.

Hey Jase,

Not to sound rude or anything, but the Batman disc was just an example...
A have had the experience with all my dts discs.
And after your first post I double checked with other discs to be sure !

So it's not the disc, nor the output of the dvd ( except the output of the batman dvd, but it's possible that I've put it to DTS matrix manually during my test to improve the sound ).

So for the record, I get a DTS sound stream on my receiver and the receiver picks up the correct status. But the difference between DD and DTS is just huge !

Bit odd then. Could try resetting the Amp and see if that cures it. In the manual under Re-Initialization of the Microprocessor will be the key press combination you need to do. Just remember to write down your settings such as delay times etc beforehand so you can key them straight back in again afterwards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom