Quantcast

DTS / Dolby Digital.....Newbie Question

majorstare

Can anyone explain in simple terms, should i buy DTS DVD's or Dolby Digital ?

What are the pros & cons of either format?

:confused:

wisesam

Novice Member
majorstare said:
Can anyone explain in simple terms, should i buy DTS DVD's or Dolby Digital ?

What are the pros & cons of either format?

:confused:
dts is higher bitrate and higher quality but they both have there pros and cons its an ongoing debate its just down to personal preference

i prefer dts tho!!!

majorstare

Cheers... DTS it is then.

If it has a better Bitratre and is of better quality, how can there still be pros & cons over DD ?

wisesam

Novice Member
majorstare said:
Cheers... DTS it is then.

If it has a better Bitratre and is of better quality, how can there still be pros & cons over DD ?
theres arguments by dolby they are better for certain low frequencys but then and so on

jameslindsey

Novice Member
In theory :dts: is less compressed, therefore if the formats are used to their maximum ability a :dts: disc should sound better. In practice I find it is down to how well the disc is encoded/ mastered sometimes a :dd: version will be better mastered so preference will be down to individual discs.
I generally choose a :dts: version if both are available for this reason.

M

MrHat

in my personal experience DTS sounds Alot better in the bass department than DD5.1, but DTS Masters seem to be more prone to Audio delays. (which can be ammended by a Dvd player with timeshift)

DTS is by far the better for sound quality, and quit how anyone could think otherwise is rather odd, DTS should always come of better if the dvd has been mastered properly.