DTS - Does anyone know why.....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by LV426, Nov 21, 2001.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    most discs with DTS on them force you to change to DTS via the menu ie prevent the player's "audio" control from letting you change to or from DTS "on the fly"?

I only ask, because this limitation is true of all the DTS discs I have except one - the BeeGees One Night Only - which DOES allow audio format to be switched (DDstereo > DD5.1 > DTS5.1) on the fly.

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Shrek, The Rock CE and Twister let me change the audio tracks during play without going to the menu. However, others do not. I think its just a limitation that some companies put on their discs. Can you imagine the sort of sound you'd get if your DVD player or Amp could'nt output DTS, i think you get a terrible noise or so i've heard.

Thats why the limitation is there. However, i'm sure some companies don't care and leave it out.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,841
    From experience, if you don't have DTS capable amplification or player you don't hear anything at all...well, the sweetest sounding "silence" I've yet to hear anyway.

4. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it DTS related, or just sound formated related? Ie can you switch from DTS to DD on the fly also? There's a button on my remote to cycle around the various subtitles on teh disk, I don't see why it couldn't do that for sound formats too.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Yes, yes. AFAIK all DVDs have an "audio" button on the remote, which normally lets you switch soundtracks - eg from dd2.0 to dd5.1, or from English to French, whatever. But, my experience is that the majority of discs with DTS inhibit this player feature, forcing you to go to the disc menu to select. I thought initially it was a technical constraint, but then, as I say, I stick my BeeGees in, and it lets me do it. So it can't be technical. And, if DTS, on non-DTS gear, is silent, I'm still puzzled as to why it's inhibited on so many discs.....

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

As far as I know, the only reason that DVD's don't automatically default to an available DTS audio soundtrack, is because it isn't the "standard" audio track that most DVD players and/or TV's will take. The standard is either DD 2.0 Surround, or DD 5.1.

As for why you can't always use the Subtitle or Audio button on your remote control to cycle through each available track, I can only presume is down to laziness on behalf of the DVD producers/authoring houses.

Pooch

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gareth pretty much hit it on the head in that you can`t switch between the audio tracks,because if the amp you are using does not support DTS,then your speakers are gonna be in for a thrashing they probably wouldn`t appreciate :eek: the manual switching is there to prevent this happening,why the Bee Gee`s does not have this feature I do not know.Must admit it is a pain in the arse having to select the audio,but then I think back to when I had Casper on laser disc in DTS,and my amp didn`t yet support it,JEEZ !!! nearly blew me off the sofa with a wall of extreme high squealing.

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have noticed that some discs will not let me select the audio commentary "on the fly" and makes me go through the extra feature's menu before I can listen to it, this leads me to believe that it might just be a policy that some studios have when making their discs... maybe somebody should ask them :confused: