1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dts digital out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tvhustla, Feb 7, 2004.

1. tvhustla

tvhustla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive got a dvd player with DTS digital out, but I cant hear the sound on a DTS movie. I've connected the DVD player to my TV via a scart cable, in order to hear DTS, do i need to connect it with a different wire?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need a digital connection to a amp that can decode or play dts soundtracks, not aware of any tv that can sorry

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you find that some discs automatically switch to DTS, go into your player's setup menus and see if you can disable DTS output in there. If you can not, when you play a disc that has a DTS soundtrack and turns silent, go into the disc's setup and manually choose one of the Dolby Digital soundtracks.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I don't know which dvd player you own but theres only a handful of models out there that can decode dts, downmix it to 2 channel and play it through their scart connection. I have an ebench player that does it. There is at least one sony model that does it. All these models normally feature a full 5.1 decoder built in.

Most dvd players can only decode dolby digital and downmix it to 2 channels for scart/analogue use. These dvd players require you to use either optical or coax digital connections to a seperate amplifier to get 5.1 sound and dts output.

5. tvhustla

tvhustla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks i guess i'll need to buy an amplifier, any good deals on at the moment as i dont want to break the bank for one.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Yamaha RXV-440 at £200 and the Marantz SR5400 at £350 from Sevenoaks at the moment.

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    There's only 1 TV on the market that I'm aware of that can decode DTS and that's the Panasonic TX-3xPB50. I also can't think of a DVD player that will downmix DTS out through its stereo/SCART output. An amp is definitely your best option.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Well as previously stated my ebench dvd player does it. In fact not only does it do it through scart but also dts is available from both of its headphone sockets. I'm sure that there are other players that do it too. I suspect a fair few dvd players that have a dd and dts built in 5.1 decoder are capable of doing this. I mean if it decodes dts to 5.1 then why won't it decode to 5, 4.1, 3.1, 3, 2.1 and 2? These are normal options on 5.1 dvd players. As far as I can tell on a lot of these players you have to use the front left and right outputs of the 5.1 analogue outputs for downmixed stereo anyway and the output here is shared with the scart audio output. End result if you have settings set to downmix to 2 channels then you'll be able to play high quality dts sound through your television speakers via scart.