DTS decoder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ubik, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ALBA 103 which has a built in DTS decoder.
    I am looking to upgrade to a proper cinema type system
    like the Aego P5 which has dts processor.
    Should i bother or just get separate speakers?
    very confused on sound setup!

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's your budget?

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The decoder in your DVD player is simply that, a decoder. It contains no form of amplification and as a result you cannot simply "add" speakers (of the normal variety anyway).

Typically you would need a separate amplifier in order to make use of the decoder, however, as you will quickly find if you take a look around, most AV amplifiers these days already cater for both Dolby Digital and DTS. As a result, you'll more than likely find that the upgrade to surround sound will not make use of your current decoder.

This said, there are some "active" speaker packages around which would negate the need for a seperate amplifier, and this would certainly work out to be the cheaper option.

As BH says, it all really depends on your budget :) Give us some more info and we'll see what we can come up with :)

K.

4. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, my budget is approx £600

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The Aego 5 speaker set is actually self amplified and so can be directly connected to your DVD and the decoding will be done by your dvd player. You can also get the Aego 5P which includes a DTS/DD/Pro Logic decoder box, the benefit of this route is that the decoder box gives you extra inputs for any stereo equipment you may wish to covert to pro logic. The Aego P5 doesn't however have Pro Logic 2 which is putting me off purchasing it. I emailed Acoustic Research and they don't have any plans to include PL2 in the near future :(

6. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    kelvinp

I just would like to ask you since I have built in decoder in my dvd player could I connect it to the my tv speakers to get dts sound form them? ( i mean a tv with built in woofer , and souround speakers having only the 5.1 decoder) and how would I do it if possible.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Evans,

The outputs on the DVD player output a signal at line level, and as such need to be inputted into a device which has a 6 channel input facility (in order to be amplified). Whilst most amplifiers have this, and also some active speaker packages, I don't think that any TV's have been released which support multi channel inputs :( As a result I don't think you'd be able to couple up your DVD's DTS facilities with your TV :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad/annoying news!

K.

8. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks for the answer, obviously it is a bit of waste to put this feature on the dvd player as you need the amplifier to have the benefit of it and to if you buy the amplifier it will have dts and the rest on it!!! so I cant see the point unless the sound decoders are much better on the dvd player!

9. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The main reason they were included on DVD players initially; was to benefit those people who had an existing AV setup which consisted of a pro-logic amplifier. Many amp's of this type suported 6 channel inputs, and thus it was a cheap(er!) way of upgrading to discrete surround sound without replacing existing equipment.

As you say however, most new amp's do in fact support DD/DTS now, so in a lot of cases, the feature is wasted. Manufacturers still tend to include it on new equipment though as it's an "extra feature" to put down on the spec sheet, and the cost of including such features has also dramatically reduced. With the increasing number of players supporting SACD and DVD-A also, 6 channel outputs are needed regardless, and as a result, many manufacturers tend to include DD/DTS decoders alongside SACD, or DVD-A :)

Hope this explains a bit :)

K.

10. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys for clearing all that up,
    think i will go for 5P