DTS & DD LFE Levels. Same Yes / No?

Dave Taylor

A year or so ago a number of AV amps had different LFE level settings for DD & DTS.

Some of the newer amps do not seem to have this option.

I believe it was because it was said that DTS DVD LFE channel was 10dB higher than a Dolby mix

Is this still the case or are both DTS & Dolby mastered at the same level when transferring to DVD.

J

juboy

A lot of people believe that the major difference between DD and DTS is simply that with the DTS soundtrack the LFE and rear surround channels are set louder.

D

Dom H

I thought the only difference was no dialog normalisation on DTS material, hence giving aprox 4dB boost.

J

juboy

There's an interesting article here

DD Vs DTS

You need to go to the Hot Topics, special reports area. There's a couple of reports on the subject. Damned if I can make the direct link to it work though...

kevb

Marantz amps have a -10db attenuation setting in the set-up menu for the sub level when using DTS. Can't speak for other makes.

Apocalypse

Standard Member
Originally posted by juboy
There's an interesting article here

DD Vs DTS

You need to go to the Hot Topics, special reports area. There's a couple of reports on the subject. Damned if I can make the direct link to it work though...

Here is the direct link to it

I'm fairly certain that DTS does sound cleaner and dynamic sounds are more impressive if mixed correctly. But if a DD mix is done well it can certainly sound as good as DTS, take the R1 "We Were Soldiers", very impressive dynamics that match DTS IMO.

Overall though I'll go with DTS as the better option, Saving Private Ryan, Behind Enemy Lines and Gladiator are good examples of DTS being numero uno in the sound dept.

MarkB

I have to agree with Apocalypse.
in my (quite) long experience, dts has more power and fluidity.
Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom