DTS connection question

PVR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got the first music DVD which has an option on the menu to select either PCM or DTS 5.1. As my Marantz SR5000 says it has DTS, and the Marantz DV4100 DVD player says the same, I would expect it to work. But no sound at all ! The DVD has been configured to "Output digital sound : all (choices either Off, PCM only or ALL). The DVD has been connected to the AV using an optical cable.

If I select PCM on the film and select Dolby Digital on the av, I get sound, but obviously not DTS.

Am I missing some connection somewhere (i.e. beside the optical, do I need to connect Coax as well to get the DTS or so?).

On films, Dolby Digital seems to work fine.

Any help would be appreciated,

PVR

Does your dvd player have a DTS setting in your set up menu?
If so, select dts on.
Secondly, is your player set up to output a bitstream signal?
You won't get dts sound if you're set on PCM.

sounds to me like your receiver is set to receive dolby digital. Is there an input setting for DTS or Auto? This is what you should use for it to decode the DTS signal.

Hi guys,

The only option on the DVD is as I mention above for the Digital Output : Off, PCM or ALL, and according to the manual, ALL means that both the optical as well as the coax output are enabled. There is nothing mentioned about DTS, except 5 lines in the manual that the receiver has to be able to deal with DTS.

The SR5000 receiver has DTS in it, according to the label on the front, as well as in the manual. In the SR5000 manual, it just states that the Input Digital connection must come from a source that can produce DTS.

On the sound menu of the DVD, there is only one other setting, which is for Analogue audio, eithere surround, 3d or stereo.

HELP!

Regards,

PVR

Dood,

The receiver just has a DTS button on it, according to the manual this sets it to DTS mode. THe DTS light on the receiver just flashes, as if it is not receiving a DTS signal at all.

Regards,

PVR

You are selecting the DTS track on the actual dvd disc itself as well aren´t you? By default, the disc will usually have PCM or Dolby Digital selected, depending what options are available.

If the dvd player is set to output ALL, set the amp to AUTO and it should decode whatever signal is sent to it.

Hi Jase,

Yes, from the "options" menu of the DVD, I have the choices between PCM and DTS 5.1. Selected DTS, press DTS on the receiver and no sound (DTS light flashing on the receiver). Select PCM on the DVD menu, set Dolby Digital on the receiver and I have sound. The sound does come from all speakers except the sub-woofer, with the "voice" coming from the centre speaker.

Regards,

PVR

What happens when you set the amp to AUTO?? (still select DTS in the dvd disc options though).

The AMP does not have an AUTO setting ..., unless you know how to do that ?

Most amps/receivers have an AUTO mode and they just switch between whatever signal is sent to them. Maybe this wasn´t included on this model.:confused:

If pressing the DTS button still results in no sound and you have selected the DTS track on the dvd disc and the dvd player is outputting a DTS signal then I´m stumped as to why its not working.:confused:

On my sony amp, the "auto" setting is called Auto Format Decoding, although this just reacts to whatever is being sent by the DVD player, I have to chose the DTS option from the DVD menu, as discs seldom default to DTS.

On the DVD sending part, I am a bit confused about the Digital Output settings. It is either :

- PCM only
- ALL
- OFF

Whereby ALL is optical and coax. PCM is obvisouly wrong for the DTS sound, so I have put it on ALL. The DVD manual only mentions that the receiver has to be "capable of handling the DTS"

The Receiver manual is very minimal, and just shows the connections and buttons on the remote, i.e. DTS, Dolby Digital etc.

Checked all internet sites to see if there was a better manual about, but no luck, just a few reviews (from people who obviously had the DTS working ...)

Have you tried just using a coax cable instead of the
optical?
It shouldn't make a difference but it's worth a try.

Wild guess: maybe there's something wrong with the disk? Have you tried another DTS disk?

I have just tried Gladiator now. No luck either. Put the Audio options on DTS, select DTS on the receiver, no sound. Only the intro has sound, as soon as the film begins, it is quiet and the DTS light on the receiver is just flashing.

What I read in the DVD manual is the following, which I just want to check against you guys :

Under the connections section, Digital output : 1 Coaxial, 1 Optical.

Then it says (what I do not understand ) : IEC958 for CDDA / LPCM

IEC1937 for MPEG1/2, AC-3 and DTS

Is it possible that the optical cable is wrong, i.e. not for the DTS signal? I have not got a coax cable to try. The units are still under guarantee, but has anybody ever heard of just that part being wrong?

Regards,

PVR

You don't need any special cable to try out the coax connection - just plug any old phono cable in and it should work perfectly.

If that doesn't solve your problem I would start calling tech support lines, or your dealer. Alternatively, if you have a mate with a DVD player and DTS-capable receiver, see if you can get him to bring his kit 'round so you can work out which bit of your kit isn't doing its job.

Dunc

Most Marantz amps have an auto setting. First you need to connect the optical cable from the DVD player to the DVD input on the amp which is usually optical in 1. Then you need to select DVD on the amp by pressing the DVD button twice on the remote and to set it to auto mode by pressing the AMP button once then number 1 on the remote (please note you only have to set it to auto once has it will remember this setting).

Then set your DVD player to output ALL. Now first try playing the DVD without selecting the DTS 5.1 so it should output DD 5.1. Are you getting sound from the amp and if yes what is the amp's display showing. It should be showing the Dolby logo on the left side.

If you got sound and the logo was displayed then go to Gladiator menu and change the sound track to DTS 5.1 (on the region 2 disc this is located in the language settings menu of all places), after a moment you should now get DTS sound from the amp and the DTS should be shown towards the left side of the amp's display.

If none of the above works then its possible that you have some how re-assigned the digital input on your amp. If this is the case you will need to go into your amp's menu and change the DIG-IN settings to re-assign the input 1 to digital.

Hope this helps.

Dunkeyboy, I have tried the phono lead, and exactly the same problem.

Mandlebrot, you refer to an AMP button, where would that be? I have pressed the DVD button twice, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The first time, it switches the AMP to DVD, and defaults to Dolby Digital on the display. Then I press the DTS button on the remote, and the DTS symbol flashes on the screen.

No sound.

The AMP does not have a menu, just a remote.

:confused:

Regards,

PVR

Hmm, you've got me stumped. If Mandelbrot's advice doesn't help it may be time for tech. support after all. Bummer. :(

Dunc

The whole lot is going in the back of the car. I have called the supplier and got the usual like "have you selected it from the menu " etc. So they want to see it for themselves.

Just a nuisance with all the speakercables to be disconnected.

Thanks for your help guys, I think we have exhausted what we can do.

Regards,

PVR

Right, a result at least.

Just been back to the shop, and the DVD player is faulty. So off to the repair now, fortunately, under guarantee.

Just what a pain to have to reconnect all the AMP cables :mad:

THanks for all the input from everybody, at least I was not going mad ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom