DTS clipping center channel on Marantz SR5014

JJ Ewing

Novice Member
Hello

Following the forum long time, learned a lot!!! But first post.

Please for advice! When I play some DTS video files, center channel sometimes has cracking noise. Something like clipping but not all the time. It increases with the volume. It is on particular places in the file and repeats every time. Same file on different AVR does not have such issue. All other channels are OK. Please note that only on some files, not all with DTS audio. Most of them does not have such issue at all. Tried to downgrade the firmware+DTS version but same result. Reverted back to latest firmware + DTS version – nothing changed. I try to read DTS stream parameters with third party software and audio parameters look the same on problematic and nonproblematic ones. At least as much as my knowledge allows me.

Tried to play same movie with different sources: TV, PC, Android mediabox, tried different HDMI input - same thing. Tried to use Optical cable as the signal is only DTS – same clipping noise on same places in the movie only on center channel.

Please for any advice! I am out of ideas. Or maybe propose some software to see deep audio stream parameters if possible at all!

AVR: Marantz 5014, Speakers: front, rear + SUB: Canton, center: Jamo E6CEN.5, decent Dali cables, and 2.0 certified HDMI cable. HOME 5.1 setup
Usually use ARC from TV to play media with media player over DLNA but after above tests I do not think this is an issue as it appears no matter source or cable.
Will list other details if needed, but I do not think they are relevant in this case.

I could try to record some short audo if it will be helpful.

Many thanks in advance!

p.s.
if I play the file downmixed by receiver to stereo, the problem is still there. but now on both channels.

Last edited:

cause_of_chaos

Standard Member
Hello

Following the forum long time, learned a lot!!! But first post.

Please for advice! When I play some DTS video files, center channel sometimes has cracking noise. Something like clipping but not all the time. It increases with the volume. It is on particular places in the file and repeats every time. Same file on different AVR does not have such issue. All other channels are OK. Please note that only on some files, not all with DTS audio. Most of them does not have such issue at all. Tried to downgrade the firmware+DTS version but same result. Reverted back to latest firmware + DTS version – nothing changed. I try to read DTS stream parameters with third party software and audio parameters look the same on problematic and nonproblematic ones. At least as much as my knowledge allows me.

Tried to play same movie with different sources: TV, PC, Android mediabox, tried different HDMI input - same thing. Tried to use Optical cable as the signal is only DTS – same clipping noise on same places in the movie only on center channel.

Please for any advice! I am out of ideas. Or maybe propose some software to see deep audio stream parameters if possible at all!

AVR: Marantz 5014, Speacers: front, rear + SUB: Canton, center: Jamo E6CEN.5, decent Dali cables, and 2.0 certified HDMI cable. HOME 5.1 setup
Usually use ARC from TV to play media with media player over DLNA but after above tests I do not think this is an issue as it appears no matter source or cable.
Will list other details if needed, but I do not think they are relevant in this case.

I could try to record some short audo if it will be helpful.

Many thanks in advance!

p.s.
if I play the file downmixed by receiver to stereo, the problem is still there. but now on both channels.
Sounds like you're just experiencing sound clipping due to poor quality source. It's probably not an issue with your hardware, more the sound files that have the issue.
Other AV receivers may have smoothed audio settings which is why they're not having the same issue.

JJ Ewing

Novice Member
Hi and thanks for reply!
Fair enough with this eplanation and indeed the audion is not best quality possible, but I am surprised if only marantz bypass such "smoothness normalisation" if we may call it like that.

I am digging for some audion editing software with frequency curve or some other graphical representatin of center channel to se at particular moment what is the output from the file itself.

But so far no much result and also i did not find any feature on the receiver that could deal with low quality sources for movies. For audion there is M-DAX but it is disabled duting multichannel audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom