1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dts Audio/dvd Audio

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MUD, Feb 18, 2001.

1. MUD

MUD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI
    Could you please tell me the differance beteen DTS audio and dvd audio. UP till now I thought dts was the best you could get. I have the CORRS in BLUE and 737 pioneer dvd in which I can only play in 5.1 and about thirty dts discs.
    REGURDS MUD.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    All theoratical, but DVD-A (DVD-Audio) and perhaps SACD should be the best available sound formats as they don't employ any compression (at least MLP for DVD-A is an option and does not throw away anything).
    DTS is a rival format to Dolby Digital and though less compressed it is still that, compressed.
    DTS can be found on CD (embedded in the PCM track, usually multichannel) and DVD (movies in DTS 5.1, DTS Es (matrixed) and DTS Es Discrete (true 6.1)).
    DVD-A can be multichannel (up to 5.1 w/ 24bit/96kHz) or stereo (24bit/192kHz) with still pics or short clips only.

BTW: Your Pioneer cannot play DVD-A, but then again there are hardly any titles around and most studios don't have recording nor mastering facilities for DVD-A.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 19-02-2001).]

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I would be interested in DVD-A if it takes off (unlike DTS Audio - IMO)
    I believe it will due to the fact that DVD-A discs will play on a "normal" DVD player albeit noly in DD5.1 ... BUT ... having looked at the very favourable comments on amazon.com re ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (most people who are raving about it are only raving about the DD5.1 track) I have decided to order it with the view that in a year or so I would probably upgrade to a DVD-A player (dont tell the missus!)
    Interestingly the "video" portions of the ELP DVD-A disc will not play on a normal DVD player - You need a DVD-A player to watch the video stuff - Who dreamt that one up(?)

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."