1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS audio CDs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Vodder, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got Queen Greatest Hits 1 DTS yesterday - WOW! Fully immersed sound, brilliant.

I thought my DVD-Audio discs sounded good, but these sound even better! Haven't got any SACD so don't know how that sounds. Anyone know any decent sites to get these discs from?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have a look at www.vivante.co.uk

Not the cheapest,but one of the widest selections of DVD-A/SACD and DTS CD's around.

3. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

Tried vivante but their shop says they have no DTS titles, maybe as they are updating the site by the looks of things.

ktng - I've used dvdboxoffice in the past, didn't know they did DTS CDs, so I'll have a butchers. I tried the DTS disc on my housemates amp and it sounded mint, so it should sound nutz on the Yamaha if it ever turns up!! :eek:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Very likely,as they've stocked them previously,and I've bought from their listings.....hope so anyway!

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    That's a strange comment - DVD-Audio is far superior to DTS as a music delivery medium and if you are listening to them on a regular DVD deck (ie not a DVD-A deck) then you'll be listening to DTS downmixes anyway, so I fail to see how DTS off a CD would sound better.

There are quite a few DTS CDs out there. I think that most of Sting's back catalogue was redone for it, for example. I see a couple turning up in the 'New formats' section in the local Media Markt.

Gav

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are only three DTS (96/24) dvds like the the Queen one, Greatest Hits, Greatest hits 2 and one other fairly obscure title.
    Greatest hits 2 is fantastic aswell, an essential purchase!

8. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah going to get Greatest hits 2 next!

Gavan - your probably right, and I'd agree with you from the face of it. I'm playing them in my Pioneer 565 which supports DVD-A.

Think the reason why it sounds better is the amp I am using is only a bog standard pro logic one from a few years back. I am sure once my Yamaha 1400 shows up the DVD-Audio discs will sound better than the DTS ones. Can't wait! :thumbsup:

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I just have to get all the cable neccesary to enjoy DVD-A and then find a DVD-A that I want to buy. There isnt a big choise of Heavy Metal on DVD-A :(

Hey Vodder whey your 1400 turns up you will love it. After a few months of playing with it I would happily reccomend getting a pwer amp or 2 to bi-amp the front chanels as it improves the stereo ability :smashin: and if you have room/money/WAF another power amp to bi-amp the centre for even more fun:devil:

10. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey that idea sounds mint - but don't tempt me! :)

Not sure the room could handle it, I'm probably pushing it as it is! Still no news about the amp, don't know why I'm surprised! I am going to have a small party when it turns up! :rotfl:

Got Queen GH2 now - even better than 1, also got Sheryl Crow, Globe sessions but it is no where near as detailed and certianly hasn't got the depth of the queen ones.

I have 6 DVD-A discs and I only listen to 2 of those. Think I am going to take them to Virgin or somat and get them changed - they are still in the wrapping as I got them free with my 565.

BTW- just looking at your sig Dfour, whats "cable fairy's" or am I being dumb?

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :devil: Its what I do best :D

They sneak in every night while im sleeping and mess up all my nice 'tidy' wiring on my H/C
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh - they must visit sheffield too as I think I may have investation of the blighters :laugh:

13. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Unfortunately, just because the DVD-Audio (and SACD) specs allow for higher quality than DTS CD, doesn't mean it's going to sound better in real life. It relies on the DVD-Audio (or SACD) disc being properly mastered from a high quality source and the end user having a set-up that doesn't have any issues which nullify the potentially superior sound.

On my set-up for example, I can't really say I hear any difference in quality between DVD-Audio/SACD and regular CD (and to be honest I spend so little time listening to music in the lounge where all my AV gear is that I'm not too fussed about looking into better kit that might make the difference audible). I do find however that the multi-channel mixes allow me to hear things that are a bit lost in the standard 2 channel mixes.

14. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have had DVD-A, SACD and DTS discs from www.play.com - good prices, www.mvc.co.uk - good selecetion but a bit more costly and wwwhmv.co.uk. Also try http://store.acousticsounds.com/ who are in the states but delivered to me very quickly with discs that were not available in the UK.

The only DTS disc I have so far is Steeley Dan - Gaucho which is fantastic, watch out though as many SACD, DVD-A's are butchered when they are remastered.

The best I have heard so far is Fleetwood Mac Rumours, James Taylors stuff, Gloria Estefan aint bad, but things that sounded dire, Mariah Carey, The Corrs - just unaturally mixed.

Hope this helps

Andy

15. BloodyL

BloodyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan Parsons - On Air is a fantastic DTSCD, a great exploration of the history of flight as well as being a top notch demo disc for newcomers to the medium.