1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS and EMI Music Team Up To Create Surround Sound Music Titles

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by YJ, Aug 24, 2003.

1. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q: Why would I me or John/Jayne public buy an EMI DVD-Audio DTS Signature over an ordinary DVD-Audio (minus the bonus extras)?

I read this press release on 3dss.com

DTS and EMI Music Team Up To Create Surround Sound Music Titles

New 'DTS Signature Series' Will Provide EMI With State-of-the-Art DVD-Audio Releases

It is confusing me what a DTS DVD-Audio would offer over a ordinary DVD-Audio version.

Is it just that DTS will mix it according to their methods and so the consumer is buying a class of re-mixes & recordings?

Thanks in advance

YJ

2. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No inside information I'm afraid, but according to the press-release you provided a link to... "each DVD-Audio disc will be created by the DTS Entertainment production team, and will offer exclusive surround re-mixes plus a variety of bonus features". I'd read that as "we're letting the DTS guys create surround mixes of albums we weren't going to do" maybe?

Clive

3. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's for confirming what I thought. Will be interesting to see what people say these new DTS DVD-A discs when they do come out.

YJ

4. MikeNelson

MikeNelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm listening to the DTS Frank Zappa "Halloween" as I type and it sounds superb. Also got 2 Queen albums, Yes and a Police CD-DTS. They all sound incredible - even the DTS tracks. I haven't got DVD-Audio 5.1 but can't envisage it being much better. DVD-Audio stereo is also very nice indeed - Got Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

5. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot was said about Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon before going to SACD, but the producer and engineer James Guthrie has done an impressive job, that is from what I have read. SACD and DVD-A can great but it depends on how the tracks are mixed.

Personally I've not got either but do hope to purchase a DVD-A combi next year.