1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS and Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Jul 20, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having been astounded at how much better the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan sounded over the Dolby mix, I ordered the DTS version of Amistad.

I was very disappointed, in my opinion it wasnt a patch on the DD.

I got rid of an AV system I was perfectly happy with because it didnt have DTS and I was curious.

I am now beginning to sympathise with the view that turning the sub up on DD gives as good as, if not better than DTS.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Whilst being a fairly staunch supporter of DTS over Dolby Digital, recently I´ve been listening to the Dolby soundtracks. I´m convinced that not only is the bass level of DTS tracks increased but also the surrounds and sometimes the centre channel.

I´m actually swaying back to Dolby now, though do like to have the choice of a DTS track on the disc as well.:)

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through a phase of buying the DTS versions of films, after my system became DTS able.

Having spent lots of money replacing kit I was happy with, I was determined to find DTS to be superior.

These days discs seem to find space for both formats so its easy to compare.

On the whole, its only been Amistad and Saving Pte Ryan that have had a very noticable difference but I am beginning to regret bothering with DTS at all.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Predator DTS is another that is better than the Dolby track but I think most of the films released now are pretty much equal in terms of sound quality (increased channel levels aside).

I still think its good to have the choice though. The only real advantage that DTS has over Dolby is DTS ES Discrete. All the DTS Discrete tracks I´ve heard are superior to the Dolby EX equivalent, due to the surround back channel being a true discrete channel and not a matrixed signal. Trouble is there are´nt that many films around that are recorded in it!!:rolleyes:

5. Geoffrey Shrek

Geoffrey Shrek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a forum fairy tale that DTS is superior to DD and one that many believe because everyone else says so.

In theory it is a superior sound format but theory isn't practice. It is useful to have both formats on a DVD as you then have a choice but if not I couldn't care less and watch the film quite happily in DD.

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well, not sure about the fairy tale bit. Of the many DTS discs I have some are very similar to DD, and the rest are superior. Whether down to the mastering or the basic technical reasons is a moot point, but I've not heard a DTS track worse than the DD equivalent.

I don't own Amistand however;)

7. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have only found two DTS soundtracks I prefer to the DD track so far. There are Ali and Stargate. I will say that I have only watched disks with a choice of DD/DTS not DTS only disks. Both formats have good and bad points. If you combined these you would have the perfect format. I watch the Superbit of the Fifth Element this weekend and the differences between the two formats was closer than I have found before. The DD won for me because the surround effects were more obvious than the DTS and the bass went way lower. The DTS track smacked you around the face with the punch from the bass but just didn't shake the sofa like the DD. In it's overall tone DTS was smoother the score sounded very nice indeed. I have found this in general with every DTS soundtrack so far.

IMO DTS has a very punchy bass but does not go as deep or as high as DD. To me the high frequencies are as important as the lows, and DTS sounds more limited in this range. For me DTS would be my first chocie for music bassed films, as I think it is far better for this than DD. I wanted DTS to blow me away as I was told it would but it did not. IMO It is not better than DD the same way DD is not better than DTS. They both offer different things. It depends on what sounds good to you. As to which you will prefer.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would never buy a disc with a dts only soundtrack. And I will never play a dts track over a Dolby track on dual ausio discs unless the dts version is in ES and the Dolby is not EX. So far the only disc I have that is that way inclined is The Road To El Dorado. So nearly always Dolby flavour for me then.