1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTS 96/24 problems

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by UrbanT, Nov 30, 2004.

1. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I am having problems with DTS 96/24 discs.

They play correctly for around a minute, and then begin to break up, ending up in a jumbled sonic mess.

The Tag is being fed by SP/DIF from an HCPC. Is it likely to be a setting on the Tag (I've had a look but cannot find anything useful), or within the HCPC?

Very frustrating :mad:

2. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

I think the problem probably lies with the HTPC, I have no problems at all playing my DTS 24/96 discs. I'm using a Pio 757ai universal player. Have you tried using a plain DVD transport instead of the HTPC?

3. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,
    Forgive me for getting off the subgect.
    A quick question for Urban T: -

I downloaded your very easy to understand TMREQ document which I am priming myself for next weekend when IO bring home my AV192 (full house).

Sorry if this is a stupid question to all you experts out there, but why does the TMREQ only address the peaks, and what about the troughs on the graph?
    What difference is there betweeen a peak and a trough compared to the "set level".
    I do however feel absolutely certain that I will notice a great improvement between the new setup and my current AV32 SP (which is by the way for sale from the 7th December at GBP2000).

Any explanation will be gratefully received.
    Regards from a VERY HOT Cape Town.
    CALEB :confused:

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I had a feeling this was HCPC related, I'll have a play later :)

Caleb, unfortunately I'm not technically minded enough to give you the answer you want. Can I suggest you send a PM to 'JohnMulcahy', I'm sure John will be able to answer your question.

I'll also mention that if you plan to sell your Tag in the UK (you quoted GBP), you won't get anything like £2k for an SP :(

5. canavan

canavan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's the other way around for me: DTS 24/96 breaks up after a few minutes with my denon 1600, but plays without problems from the one computer with the better sound card. Mr Bayer of TMA germany fame admitted that this was a known problem. No solutions so far except changing the source.

6. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi John,
    Urban T suggests I direct my query to you and sorry for what is maybe a silly question.

Reading the TMREQ article from Urban T's web page makes ease of using the TMREQ facility, but a question - why only address the peaks and not the troughs on the graph?

In listening, what would be heard on a peak as opposed to a trough along the frequency axis?

Thanks
    Caleb

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Basically you will find the peaks are far more noticable than the dips unless they are pretty large........

Chris.
    What gear are you using for the DTS t24/96 tracks within the PC, ours works fine with the DTS demo material, I assume a decent co-ax feed?

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Chris,

DTS96/24 - Assuming that your AV is on the latest version (v4.31) and has all the various hardware tweakettes on the SHARC card (ask IAG by giving them the unit serial number) then the AV should be ok.

This problem can be induced by the source not feeding the DTS stream through as-is (as required by DTS certification), but doing dubious word alignment on it and in the process breaking one of the decode validity requirements for DTS96/24. We observed this problem on a few HTPC systems and it is a bit of a minefield in PC land as DTS haven't really laid down any official requirements/drivers. The result is compatibility fun when the format has extensions like DTS96/24 or DTS Discrete.

9. RickS

RickS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm also having problems with DTS 96/24 disc's. My Dual processor locked up and gave a error 87. This with a Pansonic RP91 DVD-A player and HTPC. :confused:

Rick

10. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    From what you have said above, it does look like this is probably PC related.

My HTPC's motherboard has a built in SPDIF socket, and all audio from the PC (including games) comes via this output into the Tag. Everything else works fine, except DTS 24/96.

My conclusion was that either the DVD unit I installled in the PC (a standard ASUS DVD Rom) couldn't read the disc properly, or that the motherboards inbuilt sound card is messing with the stream.

When I have some time, I'll try some investigation by swapping both units and seeing if that solves the problems.

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Chris.
    Is it an ASUS motherboard? If so which one as there is a software fix for some of them...... let me know and I'll point you at the right place.....

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Hi Graham, unfortunately not.

Its an MSI K8T Neo, I have to admit that I haven't been there for a while to check for any updates. I'll have a look later :)

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If it uses the SoundMax chipset then it can be easily fixed assuming MSI also release updates every once in a while..... With ASUS you just find the latest motherboard with the soundmax chipset on it and use those drivers (update driver NOT install the lot!). DTS problems all solved (well for me at least). The normal issue is that if you pause the DTS film (whatever) the sound doesn't return, same thing for DTS 24/96.
    Easier than ripping bits out of the PC ;)